Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Air Travel (https://www.fodors.com/community/air-travel/)
-   -   Priceline, Orbitz, or Travelocity??? (https://www.fodors.com/community/air-travel/priceline-orbitz-or-travelocity-230919/)

lori Jun 13th, 2002 06:25 PM

Priceline, Orbitz, or Travelocity???

I need a cheap ticket from DFW to Denver. Which service should I use, what are the pitfalls? If I use Priceline, will I fly direct? Any comments would help. Thanks.

Connie Jun 13th, 2002 07:22 PM

Lori,<BR>There's no guarantee if you fly direct with Priceline. Please check Expedia, Orbitz, Travelocity and Hotwire (better than Priceline). Good luck. <BR>

gail Jun 14th, 2002 04:02 AM

We always check Expedia, Orbitz, Travelocity and specific airline site. Unless airline is having a special deal, the other dites are usually better, but it varies which one. Beware, the terms direct and non-stop are not interchangeable. Direct means you stay on the same plane, but it can stop one or more times. Non-stop means non-stop.

mitch Jun 14th, 2002 06:55 AM

My experience has been that as soon as I buy a 'good' deal a better one comes up. C'est la vie. I am also finding that popular, non stop or direct routes between airline hubs have NO good deals as the planes are full and over sold. If you get one of those make sure you have a seat assignment or you'll be bumped for sure.

Darin Jun 14th, 2002 07:39 AM

Lori,<BR><BR>I'm a huge user of priceline as I've always gotten CHEAP tickets that way. Two times I flew roundtrip from D.C. to LA for 115-135 dollars (and that was 6 months before 9/11) through Priceline. I flew to Vegas from LA (roundtrip) for 39 bucks...and finally, I just booked a roundtrip flight for two from LAX to Sydney and payed about 800 dollars less than the cheapest published fare on Travelocity, Orbitz, Yahoo Travel, cheaptickets.com and so on... I belive you can limit your trip to one connection...but I don't think it's guaranteed to be direct. You obviously can't choose your flying times, but if you're going for CHEAP, Priceline beats them all....if you can be flexible on that day with your flying times, connections and so on, it will pay off in the end! Hope you get a great (and inexpensive) flight!

a Travel Professional Jun 14th, 2002 09:40 AM

Remember Priceline and Hotwire are USE IT OR LOSE IT. If you miss your flight or cannot go you FORFEIT EVERYTHING.<BR>Sometimes slightly higher is worth it.<BR>You must weigh the Terms and Conditions carefully. $100 change fee is better than totally Non-Refundable if the ticket is over $150.

koala Jun 14th, 2002 11:55 AM

If you got a ticket to Sydney from LAX for 400.00per person less than the going rate (I found one for 700.00 and grabbed it) you are practically flying for free! I don't think even priceline can offer a discount that bis unless it's on United who are the pits. Somehow I just don't believe you.

Darin Jun 14th, 2002 01:25 PM

Koala,<BR><BR>On the dates I needed to fly, my priceline flight WAS 800 dollars less than the published rate on travelocity, orbitz and so on... (2300 US for two - as compared to 3100 on air nz for two - all inc taxes etc..)<BR><BR>It's OK if you don't believe me. <BR><BR>And how in the world did you get a flight for 700 bucks inc. taxes (total)? Are you going as a courier or something? What "consolidator" did you book with?<BR><BR>Anyway, I was just trying to give Lori my take on priceline. I think it's a good deal depending on what kind of concessions you're willing to make...what your flexibility is...I feel like I got i have always found good deals through them and have always received prompt and fair service.

Eamon Jun 14th, 2002 01:49 PM

I've booked about thirteen trips with Travelocity over the past three years, and my experience has been that they are excellent until something goes wrong, and then they abandon you completely. I overlooked it once, but won't the second time. (In both cases, my flights were canceled entirely, and they would not refund my money, claiming the airlines were responsible. I ultimately learned that both airlines had already repaid Travelocity.)<BR><BR>E

Rob Jun 16th, 2002 11:20 PM

With Priceline, the first problem is that they take your card number up front before you even know what you have. You may not wind up with a very direct route or with the dates and times that you want. If you are VERY flexible, go for it.<BR>These are bulk tickets that they buy from the airlines and turn around and sell for their own prices. Don't call the airlines for problems with tickets or for changes. There is nothing that we can do with them even if we wanted to. Same with Hotwire. These passengers have to be referred back to the ticketing agency.

koala Jun 17th, 2002 07:14 AM

The consolidator is Western Air in Oregon.