Price of airfare

Jan 8th, 2010, 07:09 AM
Original Poster

Price of airfare

Hi, Im taking a trip with my family to Europe, the best price I have found for the following trip is $1166 per person. Should I wait to see if prices go down or is this a good price?

Houston IAH to Rome FCO July 1, 2010

Rome FCO to Paris CDG July 21,2010

Paris CDG to Houston IAH July 25, 2010
Jan 8th, 2010, 07:45 AM

I would not get serious about buying an airfare to Europe until march or April. Depending on the world's situation, prices could be a lot lower then.
Jan 8th, 2010, 08:57 AM

No one knows for certain whether prices will go up or down or stay the same, but I am not impressed that the price you have found is so attractive that it warrants buying now. There is plenty of time for someone to have a sale.

I advocate buying, as a general rule, no more than four months, and no less than two months, before your departure date, and this policy has worked pretty well despite a lot of changes in the industry. I do, however, pick a price that I think is very good, and if it shows up anytime, I pounce on it.

You might consider buying Houston to rome, and CDG to Houston, as one ticket, and picking up a discount ticket from Rome to CDG independently, but be careful to understand the baggage limitations on European discount flights; they often have very low allowances, and very high fees for overages.
Jan 8th, 2010, 11:51 AM

I think Lufthansa has a sale on European flights right now. You might want to check that out.
Jan 11th, 2010, 09:27 AM

Perhaps I'm just the contrarian today, but actually, this seems like a pretty good price for the height of the summer season considering that you are including a one-way flight between Rome and Paris and flying to and from Houston and not an east-coast city.

I doubt very very much that there is any way this itinerary would cost less than $1000 per person under any circumstances this year, but if travel is still depressed by summer you might find a deal. I can envision this flight costing much more than $1200 per person as well.
Jan 11th, 2010, 12:38 PM

I'd look into open jaw Houston/Rome and Paris/Houston and explore other options for the Italy/Paris leg. Budget airlines, trains etc. Might save you significantly - or not.

And are you circling back to Rome just to catch a flight to Paris - because you can get to Paris from Milan, Venice, Florence, Naples or wherever makes sense for your itinerary.
Jan 12th, 2010, 04:49 AM

I have been looking for a flight from Liberia, Costa Rica to Frankfurt for sometime in March. Early on, I saw a few really good prices but we had not settled on the dates yet. Once we settled on a range of dates, I started looking again and found everything had gone up. I was checking twice a day for a couple of weeks until I finally ran across a great fare and bought it- quick.

The high fares I was looking at were in the neighborhood of $950 and the fare I got was $769. Once I saw the low fare, I went directly to the airline and bought the ticket there.I used Kayak fare change notification and also kept checking a website mentioned here:

www.matrix2.itasoftware.com

You can get a month by month calendar showing the days of the month when the fare is lowest to wherever you are going.

Just keep checking a couple of times a day, be flexible if possible and have a price in mind that you are happy to pay (be realistic). For instance, I would have been happy to pay in the $825 range for the ticket I managed to get at $769.
Jan 12th, 2010, 06:28 AM

hssmithcr has the right idea. Be careful with airline sales. Frequently they are not sales at all. Compare the same bookings with those on other airlines flying the same route.