Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Air Travel (https://www.fodors.com/community/air-travel/)
-   -   Premium economy on Air Berlin (https://www.fodors.com/community/air-travel/premium-economy-on-air-berlin-1077160/)

P_M Oct 31st, 2015 05:04 PM

Premium economy on Air Berlin

Next year I will be traveling to Germany from the US with my DH who is about 6'2 (189cm). I discovered that AB offers premium economy for $99/pp each way so that would be $396 RT for both of us. I am short so I handle coach better than most people but I'm afraid DH will be too cramped. I told him about premium economy and he says he doesn't want to spend the extra money. I am wondering if anyone in Fodorland has flown premium economy on Air Berlin and what are your thoughts? All replies will be appreciated but I'm especially hopeful to hear from other tall people.

Thanks.

kybourbon Oct 31st, 2015 05:22 PM

I think Laurieco flew Air Berlin a year or two ago (to Germany and on to Sicily maybe). You might try looking for her trip report. Not sure what class she booked.

What type of plane is it? Could it be a code share? Seat Guru doesn't list a premium economy for Air Berlin.

Gardyloo Oct 31st, 2015 05:32 PM

They're just rolling out extra legroom seats. It's not premium economy, it's standard economy with a little more legroom. Same narrow seats and service as regular coach. It's comparable to Economy Plus on United or Main Cabin Extra on American; it's <i>not</i> comparable to real "premium economy" on airlines like British Airways, Virgin Atlantic or Air France.

newtome Oct 31st, 2015 11:24 PM

But the regular E seats are VERY cramped for legroom.

P_M Nov 1st, 2015 05:26 AM

ky, it's an A330-200 and I will try to find laurieco's report.

I looked up my reservation on AB and according to the seating chart rows 14-19 are marked XL which I presume means extra legroom. I'm disappointed to learn this is not actually premium economy. I have paid extra for that on other airlines and I thought it was worth it. I still think it might benefit DH and I told him I am willing to sit in coach while he sits in the XL section but he doesn't want to do that either.

We are not traveling until late July so we have some time to think about it. Furthermore it's an award ticket so if a better schedule or type of plane becomes available we could switch at no cost.

Thanks everyone!!

Gardyloo Nov 1st, 2015 06:21 AM

<i>We are not traveling until late July so we have some time to think about it. Furthermore it's an award ticket so if a better schedule or type of plane becomes available we could switch at no cost.</i>

Might be useful, might not, but assuming these are American Airlines miles, you should know that AA is having a sale on purchased FF miles through the middle of this month. If I'm right, and these are AA miles, then coach seats round trip require 30,000 miles each way, 60K total for travel in July. With the sale, you could buy 40,000 miles for around $870 (or 80,000 for a little less per mile) with which you could shop for <i>business class</i> seats (50K miles each way.) Definitely a bump in out-of-pocket cost, but might be of interest.

P_M Nov 1st, 2015 06:33 AM

Gardy, it would be so great to go biz class and a heck of a better deal than spending $400 for a few extra inches of legroom. Thanks for the idea.

needmorevacation Nov 2nd, 2015 10:34 AM

I'm only 5'10 and the AB flight I took from FRA to Palma was painful. The least amount of legroom I've had on a flight! Less than Spirit, but not by much ;)