Reload this Page >

Possible ways to dump domestic leg and keep international

Old Dec 12th, 2007, 01:59 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought a R/T ticket from an online travel agent:
Paris - Detroit - Grand Rapids (GRR-DTT-CDG)

Due to a family illness I MUST stop my trip in Detroit to be with the person in the hospital.

Numerous calls to the TA and airlines have revealed the same thing: If I stop in Detroit I forfeit my return to Paris.

The airlines say only the travel agent can change the ticket.

The TA says they are only following the airlines rules...

Any suggestions other than buying a new ticket?
Old Dec 12th, 2007, 02:43 PM

You will lose the return if you don't use the DTW-GRR segment during your outbound.

No need to get a new ticket. Call the agency and rebook your ticket as needed. It'll probably be more than you thought but I can't imagine it being more than a new ticket.

If you still want to go to GRR at some point, then just change the dates for that one segment. In most cases it is ~$100-200 change fee.
Old Dec 12th, 2007, 04:28 PM

Fly to GRR, rent a car, drive to Detroit, visit relative, drive back to GRR, fly back to CDG.
Old Dec 12th, 2007, 04:29 PM

It's only 2.5 hours each way between Grand Rapids and Detroit if you drive.
Old Dec 12th, 2007, 04:32 PM

But about dumping the domestic leg: it would be as AAFF described. You would have to be re-ticketed. Use your existing ticket to buy a new ticket at the current fare. This will almost certainly involve paying a change fee. Your TA would handle this.
Old Dec 13th, 2007, 03:39 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for your advice. The travel agent said that due to the "great deal" I got on my tickets, they cannot make any modifications at all -- the only option is to buy a new ticket...

Maybe I need to stop being a baby about driving at night in the snow and ice from GRR to Detroit after being awake for 20 hours -- you're right that this is the most sensible solution.
Old Dec 13th, 2007, 08:06 AM

Fly to GRR, rent a car, get a good night's sleep at an airport motel, drive to Detroit, visit relative, drive back to GRR, fly back to CDG.
Old Dec 13th, 2007, 10:09 AM

" Maybe I need to stop being a baby about driving at night in the snow and ice from GRR to Detroit after being awake for 20 hours -- you're right that this is the most sensible solution."

I hope you are not being sarcastic here, as mrwunrfl is only trying to give you another option!
Old Dec 13th, 2007, 01:25 PM

Actually, I understood that moxie was being a big baby about not wanting to drive and so she convinced herself that it would be icy that day and she would be sleep deprived and there was no way of getting around that. But of course there is.
Old Dec 13th, 2007, 06:13 PM

I don't know your exact fare detail, but I have some suspicion that your TA is just being lazy.

Anyways, you can also fly or ride the bus between Detroit and Grand Rapids.

Might even take Amtrak or Amtrak's bus service!
Old Dec 13th, 2007, 08:54 PM
Original Poster

Needless to say, I don't love the TA and will never use them again...

In no way was I being sarcastic - I adore mrwunrfl, who helped me greatly planning a trip to Japan. His take was right, I am a big baby about driving in the snow...

I have explored all your suggested options but due to the whole situation I have convinced myself I will probably have to sacrifice the return ticket.

Thanks again for your help =)
Old Dec 14th, 2007, 01:34 AM

This may be a bit far-fetched, but anyway:

Did I understand your question correctly that your flight will originate in Paris?

If so, it may be useful to present your "case" to your local French consumer rights organisation.

In neighboring Germany, there have been recent court decisions that airlines cannot impose penalties or deny transportation for legs not used but payed for by the passenger.
The "typical" case would be that a passenger bought a return ticket, but only wants to use only one leg to travel from A to B or B to A.

As usual, these cases have not been exactly the same as what you would like to do.

I doubt that it will help you a lot, but all it may cost you is to send an e-mail to your consumer rights organisation - and cc your airline.