Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Air Travel
Reload this Page >

Policies for flying last minute to attend a funeral

Aug 1st, 2005, 06:26 PM
Original Poster

Hi everyone,
I am seeking any info on flying last miunte with airlines to attend a funeral. (The airline would most likely be American Airlines because they fly out of SYR and into ARN). However I would consider other airports and airlines.What should I expect for pricing? Are there any compensations made for flying due to a death in the family? Who are those compensations extended to? In my case it would be sister and niece to the deceased. Any info would be appreciated.
Thank you,
Annika
Aug 1st, 2005, 06:45 PM

Sorry for your loss.

Airlines usually don't extend special fares to international destinations. However, you can also call and ask.

AA doesn't fly to ARN. Only US airline that does is Continental. UA sells fares to ARN on a SAS codeshare.

CO's one-stop fare is about $1,600 if you need to go soon; and it's down to ~$1,000 if you can wait till Monday 8/8.
Aug 1st, 2005, 07:12 PM
Original Poster

rkkwan- thank you! It's so frustrating being so far away. Thank you for the info. I may be able to wait until Monday 8/8. I didn't realize compenstaions were not offered for international fares but I will call and ask anyway. That is discouraging. Last I checked AA doesn't fly direct from SYR but they have American Eagle to JFK then a connecting flight to ARN. Is this still true? Also did not know CO flew into ARN. Thank you. Will check with them as well. I do know Finnair and SAS are good possibilities out of EWR or JFK and will consider them as well. The drive from SYR to JFK or EWR is an option since there is a long layover when flying from SYR and connecting to ARN through JFK or EWR.
Am I making any sense still? It's been a long day? Appreciate your info,
Annika
Aug 1st, 2005, 08:41 PM

As I said, AA doesn't fly to ARN. If you find a AA flight to Stockholm, it's a codeshare, probably on BA via London or on SN via Brussels.

I did see some cheaper fares from JFK to ARN if you need to go soon. For example, Finnair JFK-HEL-ARN for about $1,000 departing tomorrow (8/2).

From Syracuse, you can take Jetblue to JFK. Even last minute full-fare is only $129 including tax, each way. [With a few days advance, your return may be cheaper.] So, about $1,250 for roundtrip SYR-JFK-HEL-ARN. Lufthansa also has some fares for <$1,200 JFK-ARN via Munich or Frankfurt.

One thing is that I found the Finnair fare on beta.itasoftware.com. It's a search engine but not a booking agent. So, you'll need to find out where you can actually purchase that fare.
Aug 1st, 2005, 08:45 PM

I just tried finnair.com, and I can indeed find and book that JFK-HEL-ARN fare, even for Tuesday (8/2) travel.

So, <$1,300 for Jetblue and Finnair. Immediate departure in the middle of summer. I think that's not a bad deal.
Aug 2nd, 2005, 04:53 PM
Original Poster

rkkwan-thank you. I agree that is not bad last minute to ARN from SYR. Thanks for all the info. I will pursue and see what my mother wants to do. Thanks so much!
Annika
Aug 3rd, 2005, 01:08 PM

Annikany,
It is worth calling the airlines and asking. My father died almost two years ago and I had to fly back to the UK from San Francisco. The difficulty was that the flights were heavily booked and there was almost nothing available.

Continental came through for me with an indirect flight. They didn't offer a special grief fare but did wave the advanced purchase requirements which allowed me to buy a very cheap seat at the last minute. I would have paid anything to get home but I will always appreciate their accomodation.

I hope you manage to find a flight and my condolences.

Aug 3rd, 2005, 06:09 PM
Original Poster

welltraveledbrit- thank you! I will call and ask CO and see what they can do for us. Right now we are still waiting to hear when the arrangements will be. It's nice to know this airline cared for you in your time of need. As much as they could anyway. Thank you for the insight and your concern. Sorry for your loss as well.
Annika