Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Air Travel (https://www.fodors.com/community/air-travel/)
-   -   PHL-CDG airline change with checked bags (less than 2 hrs) HELP!!! (https://www.fodors.com/community/air-travel/phl-cdg-airline-change-with-checked-bags-less-than-2-hrs-help-1132845/)

battstern Sep 27th, 2016 06:26 PM

PHL-CDG airline change with checked bags (less than 2 hrs) HELP!!!

Looking for the current (2016) thoughts on our situation. We will be flying (July 2017) American Airlines into CDG from Philadelphia and arriving Saturday morning at 7:55AM. We will be checking baggage. We would like to catch a 9:40am flight on AirFrance to Naples. This is a nonstop flight and if I can't book this one, we will waste the whole day waiting for the next flight. Is this possible to do with checked bags and changing airlines? I thought this was going to be a piece of cake, but all the old posts I have read seem to imply otherwise. I would LOVE to travel with just carry-on, but I have yet to make that happen, even for a weekend, so not an option!! Both flights are in terminal 2, I believe E & F. Not totally sure, but I think that is correct. Either way, I saw on a map, that you can walk between the terminals. Any insight would be great. I don't see another viable ticket to purchase and I already purchased my ticket to CDG, so I have to deal with it. I am hoping we can make this work. We have global entry for the US, but I guess that won't help us speed things up on Europe. Thanks in advance - I am so appreciative of access to your knowledge!!

MmePerdu Sep 27th, 2016 06:50 PM

It looks like non-stop flights are either in the morning, like the AF & Alitalia, or early evening 6-ish, Iberia & Vueling. In a similar situation I'd be inclided to give myself a break and overnight in the city, fly out next day. Worse things can happen than having a day in Paris.

janisj Sep 27th, 2016 08:46 PM

I would never (ever) book an unprotected 1:45 connection at CDG - ever.

In fact I would only book <i>any</i> unprotected connection at CDG if I had absolutely no other option.

Either stay the night in Paris (the safest option) or book the late afternoon/early evening flight.

Cali Sep 27th, 2016 09:42 PM

We recerntly changed planes in Paris (going from Air France to Air France) in the same terminals and it is a pretty long walk. If your first plane is delayed this could be a problem. I would allow more time between flights just for safety.

suze Sep 28th, 2016 03:49 PM

The first potential problem with only 1 hour and 45 minutes to connect flights, is the good possibility of your first flight not landing and deplaning on time. What if you end up getting off that flight 30 mins. later than expected?

Seamus Sep 28th, 2016 06:43 PM

Agree with overnighting in Paris. Book a place near an RER B station so you can get in and out of the city easily, or stay at an airport hotel to make it easy to get to your morning flight. I'd do the latter, have a bit of a rest in the daytime and then head into the city for afternoon/evening and dinner.

NoFlyZone Sep 29th, 2016 05:43 AM

battstern, what are the two airlines? If they are Air France/Delta and Alitalia you will be able to check your luggage all the way through (no need to claim in CDG). In that case, the 1:45 connection time is quite adequate.

thursdaysd Sep 29th, 2016 06:37 AM

According to the OP, they are AA and Air France, and on SEPARATE TICKETS.

NoFlyZone Sep 29th, 2016 09:58 AM

Ouch ... I completely missed AA (probably because I was scanning for the abbreviation!) My bad!

NoFlyZone Sep 29th, 2016 10:00 AM

...and ... OP, enjoy your day in Paris. Great city.

BeachGirl247 Oct 1st, 2016 03:38 PM

I was unaware AA had done away with their policy to connect itineraries until we wanted to do the same with our November flight arriving at CDG.

I feel your pain, battstern.

SETITRAVELS Feb 8th, 2017 09:58 PM

Curious to find out what happened on your connection. Would be going through the same situation only difference is I would have 2 hours and 5 minutes. Hoping you could share your experience.

Thanks!

suze Feb 9th, 2017 10:50 AM

This person has never returned to the forum after posting their question back in September of last year. I doubt they will see your inquiry.