Pet travel: flying on Air India with a cat

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7th, 2008, 12:20 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am flying with my cat from Newark to Paris on Air India. My cat is on the large side and will have to go in cargo.

I've called a few different Air India offices to get details on their pet travel policies. Not all the information has been consistent and the website is vague. Strangest to me is the claim of one cargo rep that I'd have to muzzle my cat to keep her from making noise as she is being loaded and unloaded from the plane. If this is truly the policy then I will fly my cat with another airline.

Has anyone here flown Air India with a pet in cargo, and if so, what was your experience?
Old Jan 7th, 2008, 12:31 PM

Nothing against Air India, but if it was my pet there is no way I would fly it in cargo hold regardless of the airline. JMHO.

Too many lost pets, deaths, etc.

Chose an airline that will allow you to have your cat in a carrier in the cabin with you. It's still a good idea to see a vet, get pills/shots to calm the cat. All this costs, but if you love the cat, then that's the way to do it.
Old Jan 7th, 2008, 12:57 PM

agree with/ aa. don't do it, not if you love your cat.
Old Jan 7th, 2008, 01:08 PM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
I agree absolutely with the above.

However I confess I had to smile, thinking that one of the reasons Air India might be "vague" about it is that they may have their own company cats in the hold, there to control AI's occasional problem with rats in their aircraft.
Old Jan 7th, 2008, 06:11 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Use an airline that lets you have the cat in the cabin or don't take her.
Old Jan 7th, 2008, 06:17 PM
Original Poster

There are size restrictions for traveling in-cabin with a pet. At 17 lbs, my cat doesn't cut it. This does not mean I don't love her.
Old Jan 7th, 2008, 06:28 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Is this for a trip or a permanent move? If a trip - you don't need to take a pet.

And if for a relocation: I moved to the UK some years ago and after exploring all the options and researching pet transport - I VERY sadly decided the best thing for my cat and dog was to find them good homes Stateside. They lived out their lives happy and safe.

Then while living in the UK I got a Scottie and a cat. I decided I just couldn't leave them behind and took them home when I moved back to the states. They both survived but both were definitely changed by the experience. the cat never really did recover 100%. My Scottie did eventually get back to his same ole self - but it took months.

Don't do it IMHO . . . . .