Personal carry on bag

Search

Personal carry on bag

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21st, 2018, 01:54 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Personal carry on bag

When we fly we usually check our bags but I like to have some things with us on the plane, like the Kindle, iPad and the camera, as well as earbuds, my Dramamine, a few toiletries etc.. We pack an extra, empty duffel bag to bring home with us for the overflow stuff.

I have been using an over the shoulder bag for a few years now. I got a good price on it because I think it was meant to be a diaper bag but was missing the changing pad. Last year I got a wheeled Delsey under-the-seat bag that #1 didn’t really fit all the stuff and #2 didn’t fit under the seat. (I should have returned it.) I think I would like to stick with a shoulder bag. I may just end up using the old one again, but....

My question is, what kind of bag do you use for this purpose? I looked at this one today in Macy’s.
https://m.macys.com/shop/product/sam...tegoryID=20688
Old Mar 21st, 2018, 01:57 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
My trips are most often to a beach vacation. I just use a tote bag or gym bag that becomes my beach bag after arrival. Nothing special.

12x16x8 would be way too small for me - and I think too small for what you describe? Are you sure your iPad, kindle, camera, etc. will fit into that size?
Old Mar 21st, 2018, 02:03 PM

I use a Baggallini tote bag that easily holds all the stuff I want to keep close. The Samsonite bag you referenced at Macy's would be way too big and too heavy for me.
Old Mar 21st, 2018, 02:22 PM

Yes, the bag you showed would be heavy and big for me also. My old Victorinox crossbody messenger looks a bit like this but is made from a nylon material and is more vertical than horizontal in silhouette.

Waxed Canvas Messenger | Lucky Brand

But now I think I want this Lucky bag!

Another search turned up this which is more like mine, but mine is nylon.
https://www.barneyswarehouse.com/pro...CABEgKR0PD_BwE

I see that these are both men's bag, but I find the size and shape very convenient and I love the crossbody styles.

Last edited by tuscanlifeedit; Mar 21st, 2018 at 02:26 PM.
Old Mar 21st, 2018, 02:24 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
That Samsonite bag would be awfully heavy filled up, plus is looks like 'luggage'. My main suitcase (21 inch roll aboard) only weighs a tad over 4 lbs so that carry on is about 1.5 lighter.

I think a LeSportSac, Baggallini or or similar would be better IMO. Not only large enough, light, but also usable as a 'walking around tote or handbag. I never take anything (other than my actual suitcase) that isn't double duty. Even some Kipling would work.

Last edited by janisj; Mar 21st, 2018 at 02:27 PM.
Old Mar 21st, 2018, 02:38 PM

This Cabelas bag comes in many covers, is lightweight, strong, and a very good size (and can't beat the price)
https://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabe...2.uts?slotId=2
Old Mar 21st, 2018, 03:04 PM

Lately it's been a black backpack that has a hard shell on the outside pocket to protect the tablet. A personal item usually isn't weighed, so a few pounds isn't a big deal.
Old Mar 21st, 2018, 03:12 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, I will have to see which of those I can see in person! Obviously, from the varying responses, the size of a personal bag is very, well...personal!
Old Mar 21st, 2018, 03:21 PM

hey, i thought this thread was in The Lounge! i rarely read the airline forum.
Old Mar 21st, 2018, 03:39 PM

One size does not fit all .... airlines. The so-called "budget" carriers, and propeller-driven commuter planes feeding the majors, may restrict size of bag more strictly than big jets, so check with the airline before you fly.
Old Mar 21st, 2018, 04:25 PM
Original Poster

Hey, suze, me too!

southam, just before I came back here I checked the Norwegian limitations on their website. The bag I have is slightly over the stated limits but is squishy, so I hope I will be okay. No new bag in my future. Darn!
Old Mar 21st, 2018, 05:50 PM

I have a couple of Sportsacs that I use for this. the larger tube (weekender) size holds plenty of stuff (I always carry one change of clothes in case luggage is delayed) and because it's parachute nylon it weights northing and can be squashed to fit under any seat or in any overhead bin. A heavy woven shoulder strap makes it very safe to carry. Not sure if they are still on the market - mine are at least a dozen years old - they last forever - just wipe clean with a damp cloth. (In the past have found in Bloomies and Macy's - but why not look on Amazon?)
Old Mar 22nd, 2018, 06:59 AM

I tend to check a 24 inch bag, because I tend to take a few pairs of shoes ( my feet are quite problematic) and everything does not fit in a carry-on bag. personally, I need a rolling bag- anything heavy over my shoulder doesn't work for me and I don't like backpacks because of strain on my back. Currently, and have a small one that goes under the seat in front and also acts as a foot rest since I'm short and my feet never touch the floor. I always look at packable volume when I look for bags. Every time I travel, I want to take just a carry-on and look on-line and at stores, but so far, I haven't figured it out. If anyone has suggestions, let me know. Thanks.
Old Mar 22nd, 2018, 07:51 AM

Carryon is different than personal item. The underseat spaces are really not big enough for an item that will hold all of your stuff. If you are short and have back issues, chances are you are also not going to be able to hoist a fully-packed rollaboard into the overhead bins. It might be time to give up on the idea that you can go carryon only unless traveling with someone willing to haul your stuff AND their stuff.

When I go carryon only I have an old 19inch polycarbonate rolling bag with minimal pockets and zippers (thus lightweight). It fits many overhead compartments (but only rarely under the seat). I dont pack a lot of shoes (maybe one extra pair and some flipflops so I can make do with that and an underseat small backpack (note that the dimensions keep shrinking). On Spirit it costs less to check a bag than to do a carryon, so I sometimes take only a larger checked bag and stuff the backpack inside, with only a small tote under the seat (even one of those reusable shopping bags will do, actually).
Old Mar 22nd, 2018, 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by suze
hey, i thought this thread was in The Lounge! i rarely read the airline forum.
It was, it got moved arbitrarily.

Depending on the trip and if I'm checking a bag or not, I usually have either a backpack and a messenger bag or just the backpack and my carryon roller. The backpack is good for a change of clothes, camera stuff, anything I need at my destination if my checked bag is lost, etc and then the messenger is for at my seat with my entertainment/purse items. A tablet, kindle, wallet, ipod, headphones, passport, candy, etc all fit in a messenger without a problem. If I'm traveling carryon only, then I obviously don't need a change of clothes in my 'personal item' but I want to keep my camera stuff close as I have to gate check a carryon out of my regional airport. That gets a bit much for the messenger bag so the empty messenger goes in the rollerbag and I use the backpack instead. Everyone has their own system and what is most comfortable and convenient for them.

I have an older version of this messenger from eBags. It's not small, but it works great as a daybag.
https://www.ebags.com/product/ebags/...uctid=10553416
Old Mar 22nd, 2018, 08:42 AM

This is similar to the last one, but on wheels:

https://www.ebags.com/product/travel...nderseater+717
Old Mar 22nd, 2018, 10:15 AM

i know I-R... just trying to make a point if I wanted to ask my question on Air Travel, that's where I would have posted it in the first place -lol
Old Mar 22nd, 2018, 11:20 AM
Original Poster

I posted it where I thought it would get the most responses. Obviously need to develop some creative titles to keep things where we want them, I guess.
Old Mar 22nd, 2018, 11:50 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
>>Obviously need to develop some creative titles to keep things where we want them, I guess.<<

They've become pretty strict about travel topics being on the travel boards . . . even if the threads have creative titles

Not sure this one totally needed to be moved - If you had asked about a handbag or shoes, would they have moved it? Nah. But I do understand why they want threads in the 'right' places.
Old Mar 22nd, 2018, 01:34 PM

I understand moving the Paris and Venice questions to the Europe forum. I don't agree, but I understand their thinking.

But this is basically a packing or wardrobe question which *belongs* in The Lounge by their own guidelines. It's nothing about "Air Travel".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -