Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Air Travel (https://www.fodors.com/community/air-travel/)
-   -   Paying for Upgrade on Continental? (https://www.fodors.com/community/air-travel/paying-for-upgrade-on-continental-161711/)

Joe Feb 17th, 2002 05:13 PM

Paying for Upgrade on Continental?

In a month or two we will be flying (return)to London from South America with a stopover in New York. We can`t afford Business Class for the whole route (we are two adults and a toddler). But will Continental allow us to pay at the gate to upgrade individual legs? We would happily pay several hundred dollars more if this were an option. I should say, we are not Continental frequent flyers.

why Feb 19th, 2002 10:40 AM

Seems to me you would get a more accurate and faster answer to your question calling the airline direct. DUH !!!! Seeing as how this is the only reply in what 2 days now???????

sister Feb 19th, 2002 12:02 PM

I bet you could, but it would be MORE than several hundred dollars. DId you an inexpensive ticket? Sometimes airlines will let you upgrade if you are a super duper frequent flyer member.

ryan Feb 19th, 2002 03:17 PM

Joe,<BR>Continental allows its Frequent Flyers to upgrade up to several days before a trip. That really cuts into the number of seats that might be for sale at the gate. <BR><BR>I would call the airline. I think the only possible solution (to assure a seat) is to buy the Business Class ticket before leaving. <BR><BR>P.S. You can get a OnePass number for your toddler. The good part about Continental is that the miles don't expire.

Joe Feb 19th, 2002 06:26 PM

The airline (here in Colombia) is of course non-committal. Depends on the leg, the load, the time before take-off etc. Thanks anyway.

geoff Feb 21st, 2002 05:28 AM

I don't know from South America but on the New York-London leg it may be on a Codeshare with Virgin Atlantic who operate thta leg for some of the flights. An upgrade to Premium economy is available but NOT if you are a Continental passenger. It may be better to look at adiffernet routing or splitting the ticket so that the second part is bought with Virgin Atlantic direct to get the upgrade.

UK Mar 1st, 2002 04:17 AM

Re: the last poster's point - the upgrade to premium economy will set you back the best part of &pound;600-&pound;1000 GBP ($1000 - $1500)<BR><BR>But the difference is worth it if you can afford it.<BR><BR>

Vic Mar 2nd, 2002 08:55 AM

Business class is roughly $5,000. Premium economy is an alternative, but the difference is seat pitch of 38" instead of 31" to 32" in conventional coach. That can make the difference between discomfort and a really comfortable trip especially if there is no one in the center seat.<BR><BR>Another alternative is American Airlines which provides 34" seat pitch and it doesn't cost any more. 34" can be quite nice, again if no one is sitting in the middle.

Gregory Mar 3rd, 2002 12:26 AM

I've heard ( but never tried it ) that on Virgin Atlantic Flights to/from London to the east coast you can pay for an upgrade to Premium Economy at thre ticket counter on the day of departure for &pound;199 each way per person.( This is of course subject to availability and as geoff said, probably not availaible to continental ticketed passengers)