Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Air Travel
Reload this Page >

Part 2 of my AA OneWorld award ticket is about to begin....

Mar 2nd, 2007, 11:56 AM
Original Poster

Last October I flew business class with LanPeru to Peru. That was part 1.

This coming Tuesday I'm flying the second part:
MIA-YYZ AA Business Class 3/6
YYZ-LHR BA Business Class 3/6
LHR-WAW BA Business Class (stop) 3/7
WAW-LHR BA Business Class 3/29
LHR-MAN BA Coach (stop) 4/1
MAN-ORD AA Business Class 4/1

In between I will also be flying Czech Airline (coach):

KRK-PRG (stop) 3/13
PRG-BUD (stop) 3/19
BUD-WAW (stop) 3/25

for a total of $340.00

Part 3 of the award ticket will be in June:

ORD-SFO AA First Class
SFO-MIA-TPA AA First Class

All this for 150K AA miles plus $218 tax and fees.

Also secured 6 nights each at the Prague and Budapest Hiltons for 271K points, no tax/no fees.

Life is good!

Mar 2nd, 2007, 12:09 PM
Original Poster

Correction:

It was 130K miles (NOT 150K miles).
Mar 2nd, 2007, 12:48 PM

Good for you! Is your new "friend" going along?
Mar 2nd, 2007, 01:14 PM

I'm curious about you describing these as "Parts 1, 2 and 3." This is structured as all one ticket with looooooong "stopovers" in Chicago? Was there an advantage to doing it this way, rather than as three separate award tickets, which I imagine would have used a lot more than 130K miles?
Mar 2nd, 2007, 01:29 PM
Original Poster

My new friend is not coming..... (she's still trying to put her life together after the divorce - next trip, she's all in!!! )

This is AA OneWorld award. Stopovers in MIA and ORD are the necessary parts to make the award work.

It's part of the deallll

Otherwise, here is the mileage cost if I did AA All Partner awards separately:

TPA-LIM-TPA - 90K miles
TPA-WAW-TPA - 90K miles
TPA-SFO-TPA - 45K miles

I did forget to mention that I needed to buy 2 revenue tickets:

1. TPA-MIA-TPA - $118 total - bought just for this trip. Add this to the trip total.

2. ORD-TPA-ORD - $138 total - needed to be in Chicago before I went out to visit a friend in SFO, so I don't consider that as an extra expense.
Mar 2nd, 2007, 03:02 PM

Thanks for the explanation of how that works. And apparently they don't care how long the stopovers are?
Mar 3rd, 2007, 08:57 AM
Original Poster

That is true.

The ticket can be split into many different trips over a period of a year, as long as you don't stopover in the origin and final destination cities.

So my total itn looked like this:

TPA-MIA-LIMA (stop)
LIM-MIA (long stayover of over 5 months)

(Revenue ticket MIA-TPA-MIA)

MIA-YYZ-LHR-WAW (stop)
WAW-LHR-MAN (stop)
MAN-ORD (long stayover of over 2 months)

(Revenue ticket ORD-TPA-ORD)

ORD-SFO (stop)
SFO-MIA-TPA (End)
Mar 3rd, 2007, 12:02 PM
Original Poster

Two more important rules:

You can only have 1 stopover plus 2 connections in any one city.

and

You can only use OneWorld partners, not all AA's partners, and you need to use at least 2 and AA doesn't count nor it's needed.
Mar 5th, 2007, 06:41 AM

So you couldn't book travel like this, all on AA without including partners?

We need a course in this

Keith
Mar 5th, 2007, 07:06 AM

There are 3 types of air travel awards one can use AA miles on -

AA-only awards. Fly AA metal from one city to another, e.g. Chicago to Honolulu or Los Angeles to Tokyo.

"All partner" awards. Fly using AA and/or one or more of their partner airlines. Partners include other members of the Oneworld Alliance, but also many airlines that aren't - for example SN Brussels, Turkish, Air Tahiti Nui, etc. You can put together some interesting itineraries using the partners, but there are stopover and destination rules that are relatively restrictive. These awards are based on "from-to" zones, e.g. X thousand miles to travel between N. America and S. America, etc. regardless of carrier.

"Oneworld" awards (such as the one AAFF is using.) These awards are mileage-based and must only utilize Oneworld airline partners (6 at the moment, growing to 8 in April.) You can fly on basically any itinerary flown by OW members, and only the miles between origin, stopover points (not plane changes, but 24+hr stops) and destination is counted. As AAFF says, there are restrictions about how many transits/stopovers at given airports can be used, and there's a 16-segment limitation overall, but within those limits the routings can be amazing. The miles required for simple trips are typically higher than would be required for the same itinerary using all-AA or Partner awards, but you can mix up continents and include, say, Europe and Asia on one award when it would require two using the other approaches, thus saving a ton of miles. The principal carrier restriction on OW awards is that you must use two OW members (in addition to AA if applicable) on any award. This coupled with the distance-measurement method can sometimes result in odd itineraries as you bounce around the globe in order to snag a second airline for a route that would logically only need one.

All the awards have a one-year completion period, so you can stop over for lengthy periods (and maybe buy a separate ticket home for the interim) before continuing the award itinerary later. Most of us think the AA award options are the best in the industry, which is why we're such AAdicts.
Mar 5th, 2007, 08:12 AM
Original Poster

Couple of minor corrections to Gardyloo's post:

1. OW is still 8 airlines total, 7 not counting AA. Although AerLingus is leaving the alliance on 4/1, it's still possible to book a OW award with AerLingus included until 4/1/2008 as long as it's done before 4/1/07.

2. There will be 3, not 2 airlines joining the alliance on 4/1/07:

Malev Airlines - Hungarian
Japan Airlines
Royal Jordanian Airlines

Everything else is right on the money...
Mar 5th, 2007, 08:29 AM
Original Poster

OneWorld Alliance:

American Airlines
British Airways
AerLingus (for few more weeks)
Qantas
Cathay Pacific
FinnAir
LanChile (and some of their subsidiaries)
Iberia

and soon to be joined by:

Malev
Royal Jordanian
Japan Airlines
Mar 5th, 2007, 08:43 AM

Didn't take off my shoes to count.
Mar 6th, 2007, 05:10 PM

What's confusing me is how AAFF is able to book three big trips in business class on one award ticket but spread out over several months for such a small number of miles. I realize the itinerary had to be supplemented with a couple of paid flights. Oh, I think I just have to sit down and analyze this.

The One World tickets are being booked through the One World program? AA is not doing this for you, I assume?

Thanks for any help. My odometer is about to turn over the 500,000 AAdvantage mile mark, and I'd love to do something big and special with the miles.
Mar 7th, 2007, 12:04 AM
Original Poster

Reporting from the BA Lounge at Heatrow. Unfortunately there was a major cluster-f--k at YYZ last night and we were delayed. Missed my connection to Warsaw this morning. BA rebooked me on LOT in business class. Leaving in about 30 minutes.

Anyways.....

This is AA OneWorld award ticket. You have to book it with AA.

There is a great "sticky" on www.flyertalk.com, OneWorld Forum explaining all the ins and outs of the award.
Mar 7th, 2007, 06:18 AM

Or click on the Oneworld icon here: http://www.aa.com/apps/AAdvantage/Vi...artnerType=Air
Mar 7th, 2007, 11:09 AM

I will check out the links. Thank you.
Mar 10th, 2007, 10:10 AM

By George, I think I've got it. I understand how the tickets work now. Thank you for the links.
Mar 19th, 2007, 09:27 AM

This is the best use of miles I've ever seen. I'm in ORD so I think I can do something like this very cheaply except I don't have enough miles for 2 oneworld J awards. And I don't want to go alone. It's going to take me another 2 years to get another 130,000 miles...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO