Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Air Travel (https://www.fodors.com/community/air-travel/)
-   -   over the pond on a 757 (https://www.fodors.com/community/air-travel/over-the-pond-on-a-757-a-298533/)

nini Feb 5th, 2008 05:32 AM

over the pond on a 757

We are trying to use FF miles with Delta. Live in Atlanta so we usually fly direct to Europe wo stop. Delta has offered to put us on a Continental flight from Newark to Barcelona for $889. While that is not an exceptional price we will have one ticket at no cost. The big surprise is the plane is a 757 which is what we fly to Texas. Has anyone flown this smaller plane over the pond? On the upside we will return from Paris on a triple seven. We will have to fly into Newark. We must decide today and have checked seating and there are not many seats left.

rkkwan Feb 5th, 2008 06:08 AM

Yes I have, and what do you want to know? It's definitely not very comfortable, that's for sure.

The upside is that CO is installing AVOD along with new seats on their 757-200s. Currently, 6 out of 41 have them. And more are being converted as I type.

dfr4848 Feb 5th, 2008 06:24 AM

I haven't (that's because I've been avoiding those routes) but family members have. As rkkwan says, they're definitely uncomfortable. BTW, more and more airlines are using these on the "secondary" routes so don't be surprised if you see even more of them on additional routes.

esm Feb 5th, 2008 06:28 AM

Only once because it fit the schedule better. Obviously it was not as comfortable as a 777 but it wasn't agony either.

wally34949 Feb 5th, 2008 07:50 AM

Just hope you don't get that "restless leg syndrom" and you should be alright. The fasten seatbelt sign stays on all the time and there is no where to go to stretch. Be sure to use the toilet before you get on the plane. It takes a long time for the plane to get up to 35,000 feet.

There has been a lot written about Continentals 757 service across the pond on www.airlinequality.com

www.airlinequality.com/Forum/contl.htm

rkkwan Feb 5th, 2008 08:31 AM

Problem with the toilets isn't how long it takes to get to cruise. The problem is that it's a long plane with only one aisle. And it takes a while to serve 159 dinners in coach. So, the aisle is blocked for a long time.

wally34949 Feb 5th, 2008 08:48 AM

There is a toilet at the front of the economy section and two in back, so just look to see where the food cart is before you go or you may get blocked.

nini Feb 5th, 2008 11:36 AM

Thanks for all the replies. This flight is for April 15 so we have to decide asap. Does the price sound fairly decent? One suggestion I was given was to try for a 767 to Madrid and connect to Barcelona via Vueling--not familiar with that airline. I am of the opinion that the bigger the aircraft, the better. As another poster said, economy is not going to be very comfortable for an 8 hr flight no matter what size plane.

Ackislander Feb 6th, 2008 01:44 AM

Take the 767 if the price difference is not great. Vueling is a Spanish low cost airline based in Barcelona. It is a short flight from Madrid to Barcelona.

wally34949 Feb 6th, 2008 02:54 AM

I'd go for the 757. It will be seven hours of experience. About the only way you can use frequent flyer miles with Continental is to fly across the pond on their 757's.

rkkwan Feb 6th, 2008 04:17 AM

I would take the CO flight. It isn't that bad which I'll pay extra to fly the MAD-BCN connection.

I've flown it across the Atlantic, my parents have flown it across the Atlantic, literally thousands of passengers fly it every day. Most survive. ;)

Seamus Feb 6th, 2008 06:50 AM

I usually struggle with this myself when the schedule I want uses the blasted 757. Overall I much prefer the 777, with 767 an acceptable second choice and 757 a last resort. If it comes down to saving a bunch of money or having a schedule that better fit my needs I jut bite the bullet and go with the 757. As rk points out, thousands of people fly it and survive.