Ottawa-LAX-Kauai-Vancouver-Ottawa

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21st, 2011, 02:42 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello! Can anyone help me find cheap flights? I am traveling in August to stay with friends in: L.A., Kauai, and Vancouver. (I'm starting in Ottawa). My window of time is between Aug 6-26, and I'm attempting to spend a few days in L.A., then about 10 days in Kauai, then a few days in Vancouver...

Searching for cheap flights! Have been working with Flight Centre and got a rate of $1800 total for this whole trip, but a world-traveling friend says this is steep, that it costs less than that to fly to Australia and back...

Any thoughts?
Thanks
Old Mar 21st, 2011, 03:46 PM

If you are planning to spend some time in LA, consider purchasing one-way flights. Have you used www.kayak.com? If your days are flexible, click on the flexible box and add the 1 2 or 3 days before or after. I just purchased a ticket from Kauai to San Jose for $278 (One-way)

Also, if you miss one of the flights, they won't cancel all of the other flights if you book one-way flights.
Old Mar 21st, 2011, 03:46 PM

If you are planning to spend some time in LA, consider purchasing one-way flights. Have you used www.kayak.com? If your days are flexible, click on the flexible box and add the 1 2 or 3 days before or after. I just purchased a ticket from Kauai to San Jose for $278 (One-way)

Also, if you miss one of the flights, they won't cancel all of the other flights if you book one-way flights.
Old Mar 21st, 2011, 04:24 PM
Original Poster

Thanks -- no, I have not heard of kayak.com but I'll check it out. When you say one way flights, do you mean to book my Ottawa-L.A. and L.A. to Kauai flights separately from the rest of my flights? Do you think $1800ish seems expensive for this type of trip?
Old Mar 21st, 2011, 05:18 PM

Hard to get much cheaper with this kind of itinerary without some very creative piecing together of flights and often 2-3 stops to get to each destination of yours. $1,800 is basically the cost of four separate one-way flights put together.

You may be able to shave a few bucks, but it's not far off. I put in some dates in August and found the cheapest:

YOW - LAX $359
LAX - LIH $459
LIH - YVR $416 ($316 if 2 stops)
YVR - YOW $353

That's about US$1,600 for you. You're flying to three different destinations in two countries, with Ottawa and Lihue not the cheapest places to fly into or out of.
Old Mar 21st, 2011, 07:42 PM
Original Poster

Thank you! Even though I don't have much experience pricing flights, I had a hunch that this was a pretty good deal considering the multiple locations and Hawaii being a part of it....I appreciate your help!