Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Air Travel (https://www.fodors.com/community/air-travel/)
-   -   Orbitz and Emirates Double Charged over $2000. No Refunds (https://www.fodors.com/community/air-travel/orbitz-and-emirates-double-charged-over-2000-no-refunds-985959/)

ChristopherMark Jul 22nd, 2013 07:56 AM

Orbitz and Emirates Double Charged over $2000. No Refunds

I lost $2089.68 to Orbitz who denied a transaction was completed so, I booked another ticket with them to same location and dates. I was Billed for Both Tickets. Orbitz Response to BBB Complaint They Agree that a REFUND Is DUE yet unable to complete; They just blame the airline.

After 5 hours on the phone (most on hold) I filed the following complaints:
Emirates NY Ref : NYC/X/SC/260613/686131 FAX +121275834434
Orbitz LocatorAP110101ODJYSA0D BBB Complaint Case # 94450489
Emirates Ticket# 1767172927633-634 BBB Complaint 9546287
US Dept of Transportation Case # KC2013050065

Orbits first response to my complaint was 72 days later.

6-months later yep, refund due yet no indication it is forthcoming.

The unexpected theft of $2089. has devastated my family.

Chicago mobster business practices.

BEWARE ORBITZ Orbits RIPOFF NEVER ORBITZ

NeoPatrick Jul 22nd, 2013 07:58 AM

You need a better credit card if they won't refund that amount based on what you've told us -- pending an outcome . The devastation to your family could be avoided simply by seeking out a better credit card company! Or have you even tried that? Most credit card companies would do most or all of this legwork for you to begin with.

Kathie Jul 22nd, 2013 08:30 AM

Did you ask your credit card company to reverse the charge? I don't see where you did that. Your credit card company should reverse that charge based on this info.

NeoPatrick Jul 22nd, 2013 09:38 AM

My point exactly, Kathie!

Southam Jul 22nd, 2013 12:53 PM

In my experience, go to the credit card first. They have more experience and more clout.

mrwunrfl Jul 22nd, 2013 08:18 PM

ChristopherMark, you can spend less time posting this all over the web and spend some time calling the customer service number on the back of your credit card in order to dispute the charge. It is that simple.

NeoPatrick Jul 23rd, 2013 03:52 AM

I apologize for starting this trend of similar suggestions. It occurs to me that perhaps the OP never used a credit card before and has never traveled before and therefore has never charged a major expense before, so of course he is "ignorant" of how credit cards work.

Too bad, that he didn't find that out FIRST. In fact, I'm curious why he booked on Orbitz to begin with instead of going directly to the airlines? But I doubt he's going to come back here and find out what he SHOULD be doing. Just griping and posting the same complaint all over the internet must be so much more fun than simply getting the problem settled.

Orbitz Jul 23rd, 2013 07:34 AM

Hello,

My name is Shalon, and I am part of the Orbitz Customer Relations Team. We want to learn more about your experience so that we can address the issue. Please email us at [email protected] and enter my name in the subject line, so that I can investigate further.

Thank you for your patience, and I look forward to hearing back from you.

Sincerely,

Shalon
Orbitz Customer Relations
Chicago, IL

janisj Jul 23rd, 2013 08:46 AM

Orbitz: I doubt ChristopherMark will see your post/respond. He isn't actually a participating 'member' of Fodors. He simply registered to rant about Orbitz. (He may not even know how to get back to this thread).

NeoPatrick Jul 23rd, 2013 12:40 PM

True, janisj. Since he can't even figure out how to call his credit card company to handle his complain, the idea of finding this website again, or more specifically this thread seems to be a real longshot.

moneyburns Jul 31st, 2013 03:12 PM

I had a similar situation with UNITED booking two business class tickets ~ quite a bit of cash..when I did not recieve a confirm I called United to inquire and was told my CC was denied...called the CC company immediately and they gave me the exact times ie. 8:30 am. 8:32 am, 8:34 am. that United KEPT entering my number and of course all those were denied - the amts were unbelivable and I don't have a $50.000 limit. FUNNY thing though CC company said the very FIRST transaction was approved ( well I figured it would be or would not bother to try) yet UNITED kept on entering more transactions.
Go figure how inept the operator is.

When we called United the rep kept saying, you are denied. No effort at all to a solution.
NONE
Finally we asked for a manager. HE also said we show denial. Again, NO EFFORT to solution.
No way we were going to re-enter a transaction so contacting the customer rep at CC and THEY called United and initiated a 3-way conference call informing them we have indeed a transaction that was APPROVED - the first one at 8:30 am. Can you believe the UNITED manager insisted we DID NOT and it was our problem, not his.

A rude, arrogant man and if I did not need this flight, believe me it would have been over with. Needless to say if our CC company had not stepped up and called United with us on the line, we would have been out $10,000. I have no idea where they get these people to work but I can't imagine how many folks have been schemed out of money because of inept reps. Thankfully we had the mindset that they were wrong and we were right and hold the line....lets call the CC company. United --still insisting we were denied-- and the CC rep saying I have the charge right here in front of me....very frustrating. United would not even listen to the CC company! He had all the figures, numbers, references right in front of him and the rude manager just kept saying, Denied.

I can't wait to see how they treat me in Biz Class. :)

Odin Aug 3rd, 2013 12:27 AM

Getting approval on a credit card over and over does not mean the charges will actually appear on the statement and there is no "operator" at United sitting there typing the number in over and over. It's a website, so payments & approvals will be an automatic process unlikely to be performed by a human.