Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Air Travel (https://www.fodors.com/community/air-travel/)
-   -   One "Expert's" Opinion Regarding Air Fares In The Coming Months (https://www.fodors.com/community/air-travel/one-experts-opinion-regarding-air-fares-in-the-coming-months-832763/)

LoveItaly Mar 25th, 2010 10:03 PM

One "Expert's" Opinion Regarding Air Fares In The Coming Months

Hello all, I know so many of us seem to wonder "when shall I buy the airline ticket". Here is an article from the SF Chronicle with one person's thoughts and advice which makes sense to me.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/cmcginnis/index?

He has interesting comments about hotel rates too, especially regarding NYC.

CarolA Mar 26th, 2010 08:05 AM

Interesting read. I really think he's right about airfare and I am afraid that some folks are in for a "rude awakening".

mowmow Mar 26th, 2010 07:11 PM

I was reading an old post about African safari planning, and the airfares were the same in 2003 as I just paid for my June trip.

I guess I can't complain, but I do miss the pampering I used to get when we flew when I was younger (about 40 years ago)I remember when the upper 747 deck was a lounge with big easy chairs and a bar. I ate all the cherries and olives on one transatlantic trip! The lines were short, food, pillows, and blankets plentiful, and enough leg room to stretch out a bit and be able to get past the aisle person without climbing over the top of them.

Nobody hauled suitcases on board, the ladies just had their "cosmetic case" or the carry-on that came with your 5pc Samsonite luggage set, lol. The captains greeted all the kids, and let us sit in the cockpit and gave us wings.

Of course thats a 10 year old's perspective. Maybe the seats were the same size, just me who was smaller then.

CarolA Mar 27th, 2010 05:39 AM

No, the seats were bigger. You are about my age. Flying was an "Event", people still dressed up (now they look like they are going to the playground :) )

clevelandbrown Mar 28th, 2010 10:25 AM

Eliminating a flight is not a last minute solution, so I think we won't be seeing much more of that.

Changing prices is a last minute solution, so we may see more or less of that, depending on customer demand. I had a flight this month that was upgraded with miles; the return transatlantic apparently had more demand, so I was waitlisted. Naturally, I was constantly checking to see how close to sold out they were, and just since I was there, I checked the date before and after I was scheduled. It turned out that while my flight was completely booked, the day before and the day after flew with quite a few empty seats. I think that small sample is evidence that capacity is not yet reached, which would argue for keeping prices down. If they reach the point where flights are consistently booked at capacity, I would guess that prices will increase.

Even though prices have gone up a bit, I still think they are at very comfortable levels. That is to say, as a percentage of the cost of a nice trip, airfare is lower than it was ten or twenty or more years ago.

But I think the so-called bill of rights the nags have convinced the government to impose will almost certainly cause prices to increase quite a bit. The head of one airline is quoted as saying that rather than paying a substantial fine, he will have his pilots drop out of the taxiing line, return to a gate (good luck finding a gate) and cancel the flight and return the passengers' money. So all those customers will be running around the airport trying to buy an expensive last-minute ticket. That augurs higher prices.

rkkwan Mar 28th, 2010 10:36 AM

Seats in economy are the same size as in the mid-70's onwards. Though pitch in general less now, so you have more legroom back then.

For the same money you pay 40 years ago on a flight, after adjusting for inflation, you should be able to fly first class domestically, and business class internationally these days. Definitely better experience now in first/business than in coach back then.

In fact, international business class these days are generally as good, if not better, than international first class back then. For example, no flat bed back then. And the lounges are nicer, you can use dedicated security lines at most airports. And IFE is way better these days than back then.

CarolA Mar 28th, 2010 10:46 AM

Well, not all Business class has lie flat (as is indicated in another post on here :) )

Overall I think the quality of the service etc... has declined dramatically. But as rkkwan points out the cost has actually NOT really increased so something has to give.

IMHO it actually makes sense for the airlines to "hold the line" on airfares. The "sell for less then cost" model has lead to some "issues" :)

Dukey Mar 29th, 2010 06:47 AM

OK, has the COST of JET-A Fuel increased or decreased within the last five minutes and what is the trend..or is there one?

Have the wages of pilots and others who work for the airlines gone UP or down in the last couple of years

Have all other costs associated with flying...airport charges, Government fees, taxes, surcharges, etc., gone up or down?

How about the cost of equipment?

Are any of these things a factor in the cost of an airline ticket????

CarolA Mar 29th, 2010 07:19 AM

Dukey,
Should ALL of those things figure in the cost of a ticket?

Not sure I understand your questions or point? Are you trying to say we should be paying higher fees (which I think is true)

bettyk Mar 29th, 2010 01:50 PM

We booked tickets for IAH - FRA within the last 10 days at a great price of $780 for mid September travel on AA. I was quite please as prices had been running around $850 the month before. This was a fare sale that ended 22 March I believe.