Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Air Travel
Reload this Page >

On our Continental flight to Bahamas we have to stay overnight in FLL. Are our bags stay in the airport or do we need to drag them with us to a hotel?

On our Continental flight to Bahamas we have to stay overnight in FLL. Are our bags stay in the airport or do we need to drag them with us to a hotel?

Old Dec 1st, 2005, 04:40 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are arriving late evening in FLL and the next day around noon we continue to Bahamas. All flights are on Continental. Do we need to claim our bags in FLL and then check them in next morning or is it possible they will stay in the airport for over 12 hours? I called Continental two times and spoke to two different persons and none of them gave me any answer. "I think you you have to claim them or maybe not". We will have the same situation on the way back but this time staying in Newark overnight.
Old Dec 1st, 2005, 01:52 PM

I would guess that it depends on whether you're checking in these bags all the way through to the Bahamas. Ask someone at your local airport to see if they can check the bag all the way through. If you bought it on 1 single itinerary, I think you can. If you bought it on separate tickets, then you definitely cannot. That's my guess. Anyone else?
Old Dec 2nd, 2005, 02:56 AM

I have done this sort of routing on AA. Flew to MIA, overnighted, then on to SJU and EIS the next day (ah, the things we do for FF tix...). I WANTED to collect my bags; I certainly did not want them sitting in some holding pattern in the airport. So, when we checked in at our home airport, we only checked in as far as MIA and collected our bags there. The next day, we checked in for the rest of our trip. (Ironically, our bags didn't make the SJU to EIS leg...)
Old Dec 4th, 2005, 09:15 AM

If your entire itinerary is on one ticket the bags should automatically be checked through to your final destination when you originate. Especially since you are on CO all the way even if the travel is on separate tickets you should be able to have them checked through.
Old Dec 16th, 2005, 07:01 AM
Original Poster

Thank you PrinceJ, Callaloo and Seamus.

We are back home and I want to report that on the way to Cat Island we were able to check-in on line but only to FLL. We had to claim our bags and take them with us to our hotel. The next day we rechecked them for a short fly to TBI. On the way back our bags were checked all the way through our final destination but, as you know, we had to claim them in FLL to go through customs.

Old Dec 16th, 2005, 08:05 AM

Pat - Thanks for the update. Can you clarify about your return trip? From what I understand you arrived back in Newark at night, and you flew home the next morning.

Do you mean that after customs/immigration, you then dropped off the bags to CO and they took it, even though your connection to home wasn't until the next morning?
Old Dec 16th, 2005, 09:30 AM
Original Poster

rkkwan, I am sorry I wasn't too clear. Let me try again. All three legs of our trip were on CO and one ticket. Our bags were tagged all the way to our final destination right there on Cat Island, Bahamas. We arrived in FLL where we went through customs and immigration. After immigration and customs we had to carry our bags where they were transfered. To get to our designated gate we had to go through security. Then we took a flight to EWR, we did not have to claim our bags again, they stayed in the airport overnight. This morning we, and our bags as well, arrived at our final destination.
Old Dec 16th, 2005, 09:43 AM

Pat - No, that's fine. I forgot about the US INS/customs pre-clearance in the Bahamas. But thanks for the clarifications.
Old Dec 17th, 2005, 06:41 AM
z

I don't get it. Isn't (FLL) Fort Lauderdale in Florida? Did you go through customs in Bahamas or FLL? I thought you said "We arrived in FLL where we went through customs and immigration"
Old Dec 17th, 2005, 08:30 AM

Oh, I see what Pat was saying now. I guess she couldn't do pre-clearance for her flight in the Bahamas, and cleared US immigration/customs at FLL. I was focusing on her EWR connection, which was simply a domestic-to-domestic one but with a overnight layover.
Old Dec 18th, 2005, 07:54 AM
Original Poster

On Cat Island, Bahamas there is no immigration or custom procedure. You give them your passport, then you get your boarding passing. That was it!