Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Air Travel (https://www.fodors.com/community/air-travel/)
-   -   Oktoberfest Airfare Prognostication: Get Out Your Crystal Ball (https://www.fodors.com/community/air-travel/oktoberfest-airfare-prognostication-get-out-your-crystal-ball-837812/)

Iregeo Apr 28th, 2010 12:05 PM

Oktoberfest Airfare Prognostication: Get Out Your Crystal Ball

DH and I will be travelling roundtrip, LAX to MUC, in September, while Oktoberfest is taking place. I've been watching the airfare for a few months, which has hovered around $1124 per person (economy, nonstop). I am hoping to wait for some Fall airfare deals, to try and get a better fare. Today, I see the fares have risen slightly, to $1143.

Do you think I'm making a mistake waiting for Fall airfare deals? For those of you in the know, do they offer airfare deals to MUC during Oktoberfest, or avoid doing so because it's Oktoberfest?
Your thoughts are much appreciated.

Jeff_Costa_Rica Apr 28th, 2010 12:16 PM

Given the airfares I've seen to Europe this summer and into the fall, $1100 doesn't seem that bad, especially since you're flying from the west coast. Airfares to Europe are just higher this year.

Granted, this experience was four years ago, but I was booking flights to Munich for the fall and playing around with dates. Any bargains I found were not during Oktoberfest, so I decided to go after it was over.

Iregeo Apr 28th, 2010 08:12 PM

Thanks, Jeff. We're not going because it's Oktoberfest. It's when we can go, and it happens to coincide with Oktoberfest.

Anyone else have an opinion?

WillTravel Apr 28th, 2010 10:16 PM

How flexible are you? I see ONT-MUC for $871 on US Airways, leaving in late September.

Iregeo Apr 29th, 2010 06:08 AM

WillTravel, is that with 1 stop? DH only wants to fly nonstop. Will definately consider alternate airports. Thanks for that reminder. I'll redo my search checking the alternate airport box.

Jeff_Costa_Rica Apr 29th, 2010 06:40 AM

I'm sure ONT-MUC requires a connection somewhere.

We would all love to fly nonstop to every destination, but if you insist on doing that, it's going to severely limit your options.

Cowboy1968 Apr 29th, 2010 09:59 AM

From LAX there is only one nonstop to MUC - and that is the one you already checked. The "closest" airport with also a nonstop to MUC would be SFO.
Alternative airports on the other side could be FRA or ZRH? (plus 3-4hrs by train to Munich).
If nonstop is a must, you will pay for that convenience. And not even Lufthansa would be that stupid to offer "deals" for a time when literally tens of thousands are trying to get to Munich.

WillTravel Apr 29th, 2010 11:15 AM

Yes, there are stops in the ONT-MUC trip (2, I think). So you lose convenience and time, but save hundreds of dollars (with two tickets), and also gain a lot more Star Alliance points, if that matters. I agree -- I would not expect any great deals on the nonstop route.

Iregeo Apr 29th, 2010 12:02 PM

Thanks to all. I agree with you.