Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Air Travel (https://www.fodors.com/community/air-travel/)
-   -   "Often delayed by 30+ minutes" (https://www.fodors.com/community/air-travel/often-delayed-by-30-minutes-1051948/)

pdx Jul 5th, 2015 10:20 AM

"Often delayed by 30+ minutes"

I'm working on an itinerary for 6 people to meet up at JFK for a flight to Venice. Google flights is reporting flights from LAX to JFK and PHX to JFK are often delayed by 30+ minutes. There isn't much of a layover, 60-70 minutes and the flight out is a non-stop at 9:30 p.m.
Think I should ditch these flights and figure something else out? It's such a beautiful itinerary and I don't want to let it go but I'm anxious already and I haven't even booked tickets.
Anyone know why these are "often delayed"?

anneeby Jul 5th, 2015 10:48 AM

I was in the same position last year. I organized a trip for 6 people to fly to Rome out of JFK with what I thought was plenty of time. The flight into JFK was 1/2 hr late, and the international departure gate was so far away that we had to get a taxi to take us! We arrived running and breathless to the Alitalia gate only to be told we couldn't board because we had arrived 25 minutes before take off rather than the required 30 minutes. Moral of the story, I would rather wander around an airport bored with time to spare than have a heart attack cutting it close. Assume that the incoming flights are going to be delayed and plan for a longer layover.

Jeff_Costa_Rica Jul 5th, 2015 11:15 AM

A 60-70-minute connection doesn't give you much buffer room at a big airport. I would book something with a longer connection. As anneeby says above, you can never board any flight right up until the moment of departure. The gate closes a certain amount of time before, so you'd actually have something less than 60-70 minutes.

Also, meeting up for flights like this is always risky. What happens if some of you get to JFK on time, but others are delayed? Do those of you who are on time head off to Italy leaving the others behind? The ones on time probably can't call the rest of the party to ask "Where are you?" because they'll be in the air.

If you're going to meet up at JFK like this, I'd book a connection of several hours.

pdx Jul 5th, 2015 11:40 AM

Thank you both for talking me down from this stupid idea. Whew, Anne! What a reality check! I did not factor in terminal change at all. And you are so right, Jeff. Too many people with too many variables.
It's such a relief to be able to come here and ask for a short therapy session. "Why am I feeling so uncomfortable about this itinerary'?: Here's why......!

We have two coming from PDX, two from New York State, and two from LAX. Disaster in the works.
The biggest problem is that two will be in New York state (visiting from Arizona), are not international travelers and don't want to travel alone to the destination. We were going to hook up with them at JFK. I think I'm going to ask them to separate their vacations and work on finding other options.
Again, thank you.

anneeby Jul 5th, 2015 12:48 PM

Another thing to keep in mind.......when you fly into an airport on a domestic flight and you fly out internationally, not only do you often have to change terminals but you also have to go thru security AGAIN when you get to the international terminal, and often the international airline you are flying requires a recheck of your carry on bags! Example, Delta allows your carry on and personal item as long as they meet the required dimensions, but Delta's international partner, Alitalia, has very strict WEIGHT restrictions for your in carry on and purse combined. So they will detain you and weigh your personal item and carry on together. My group was rearranging weight in carry on bags in the middle of the airport--throwing books and shoes at each other to make everyone in compliance! This was AFTER we missed our connecting flight at JFK and we were trying to get out again the next day.

pdx Jul 5th, 2015 01:16 PM

*Shudder* This is like watching a horror movie, Anne. I'm scrunched down in my seat and peering through my fingers. I think I've read to many 'what can happen' scenarios today.

janisj Jul 5th, 2015 01:31 PM

When I've arranged international trips w/ folks coming from all over -- we work it out so we all <i>arrive at the final destination</i> at about the same times. Different US departure points all have different 'best option' for getting to Europe. For instance if some are near an AA hub and others near a United hub then it probably isn't going to work trying to get them all on the same transatlantic flight.

newtome Jul 5th, 2015 08:19 PM

Plus JFK has planned delays for the next months as they are doing runway work.

Southam Jul 6th, 2015 05:26 PM

Meet your pals in Venice. Let them make their own arrangements trans-Atlantic, which might turn out to be cheaper anyhow. Schmoozing in Venice versus in a departure lounge at an airport? Pretty easy choice.

GreenDragon Jul 8th, 2015 05:05 AM

Meet up in Venice, yes. I've had the choice between a 1.5 hour layover in Newark and a 12 hour layover - and taken the latter. We had a friend pick us up for a day trip into New York with our time, and got back in plenty of time for our flight. I never do less than a 2 hour window for an international flight layover. I have, in the past, done the mad dash through the airport to get there just as the flight door is closing. My mom couldn't run as fast (or at all) and I managed to make them hold the door for her!

pdx Jul 8th, 2015 10:34 AM

I would like to do it that way, meeting up in Venice, but there are two of our group that are not comfortable with that and we're going to try and make it happen that we can fly in together.
There is a great flight on American that posted today that will work well for the people coming out of LAX. It has a 4 hour layover at JFK and our friends will meet us there for a 6:30 pm flight. Hopefully there's enough leeway even with planned delays. Though I'm going to look into that and see how miserable that is making everyone's life.
I've got the info out there for everyone to review and I'm ready to jump on it as it's $1235, open jaw into VCE out of FCO. My portion of it is lousy, getting my niece and I back to Portland jumps the price up to more than twice that but I'll see if I can figure a work-around.
Thank you for your help!

GreenDragon Jul 8th, 2015 10:53 AM

Four hours is much safer :)