Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Air Travel
Reload this Page >

NYC to Nairobi in August '04: Please help us get a lower fare!

Apr 13th, 2004, 11:20 AM
Original Poster

My wife and I are planning to travel from New York to Nairobi for a wedding in late August '04. Because of our schedules, we're limited to leaving on August 20 (arriving in Nairobi on the 21st) and returning on August 29 (returning to NYC on the same day).

I've spoken to several airlines and travel agents, as well as done several searches on travelocity, orbitz, and other websites. The best fare I've found is by calling British Airways directly: $1518/person (including all taxes). This is from JFK to Nairobi via Heathrow both ways.

My question is whether anyone has any advice on how to get a lower fare. I know August is the peak season, but any ideas would be appreciated. Many thanks!
Apr 13th, 2004, 11:22 AM
Original Poster

I should add that the BA agent said this itinerary has a lot of empty seats at this point, so would it make sense to wait a bit before booking? What are the chances the fares will go down?
Apr 13th, 2004, 02:24 PM

Your best bet is to check out the New York newspapers, the travel sectiom in the Sunday edition. There are multiple consolidators that advertise in the Sunday travel section. New York is perfect for these fares as many of them are priced out of NYC. You should be able to get something cheaper, but I would not expect any miracles. August is a high season for Europe and since you have to connect through there, you will pay the price.

If it's at all possible. change your dates. Friday departures and Sunday returns will cost extra. Best fares are usually MON-THUR departures on either end.

Good luck!
Apr 13th, 2004, 04:52 PM

This is a pretty good price for August and weekend departure. I wouldn't wait much longer. Did you check directly with BA? They may have even lower rates on their website. Good luck!
Apr 13th, 2004, 04:53 PM

I just reread your post and realized that you did call BA directly. Get your tickets soon.
Apr 14th, 2004, 04:48 AM
sandi

coffeeaddict -

Try the following:

KLM flies to NBO - we once got excellent prices from them, better than BA. And did you check Kenyan Air?

Also these sites:

www.consolidatorwebfares.com/afspecials.htm
www.capecairo.com (click for their air dept)
www.2afrika.com (click for their air dept)
www.premiertours.com (click for their air dept)
www.americanairfare.com/specials (or call 877-532-5296, located in FLA) this last one showed a fare of $1348, but not sure if included taxes).

There was also a recent post re an air carrier offering $399 from London, via East African Air (I believe that was the name, but can't seem to find further info).

Hope this helps.

Apr 14th, 2004, 06:13 AM

Sandi knows all. She is an expert on everything concerning Africa so go with her suggestions.
Apr 14th, 2004, 06:46 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the advice. I'll definitely investigate further.

Sandi: FYI--I did try KLM. The travel agents were coming up with fares at around $1480 (with taxes), just a shade lower than BA, but the schedules were not as good as BA's. Thanks again!
Apr 14th, 2004, 02:07 PM

You might want to check out travel website searches like orbitz to see if they have any last minute fares. I know that when I flew to Bali, they were able to give us the cheapest fare. It might be worth a try and they are flexible with you plugging in the dates and times that you want to fly.
Apr 14th, 2004, 02:17 PM

It seems you have a very tight schedule. It will be a big advantage to book directly and with the same airline that would take you from New York to Nairobi. It may be worthy to pay a little more for booking with BA
Apr 15th, 2004, 03:52 AM
sandi

Mama - please, I don't know everything about Africa. A few places I know - maybe more on some, less on others - but everything, no way. It's way too big a continent with over 50 countries - too much for my grey matter. You were too generous.