Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Air Travel (https://www.fodors.com/community/air-travel/)
-   -   NWest flight-medical issue (https://www.fodors.com/community/air-travel/nwest-flight-medical-issue-439852/)

hardwater Sep 25th, 2008 09:54 AM

NWest flight-medical issue

Unfortunately,I had to cancel a 9-4-08 flight to Germany and return on NWest due to sudden heart bypass surgery just prior. The tix was bought from Lessno ( NW cust. sv would not speak to me) and they said to provide a medical statement from my surgeon which I did and they forwarded on to NW. Lessno now says NW wants an admission and discharge statement from the hospital. Can someone in customer service with NWest be so crass as to believe I had this surgery in my house or local food store? A statement from the surgeon is not adequate? Is customer service really THIS bad? What are your personal experiences with this canceled flight medical issue and trying to get a change fee waived to get my credit?

BeachBoi Sep 25th, 2008 10:12 AM

It's called fraud.Historically, the airlines have lost millions giving refunds and waiving fees when they really shouldnt have.And most fare rules that I have seen in the past few years allow no medical "out", period.So they arent being crass or illogical.If they ask for something, and you want a credit/refund or waiver of a change fee, just do it and be happy they have extended you that courtesy.They dont have to.

hardwater Sep 25th, 2008 10:37 AM

Sorry, I failed to state I am not seeking a refund, just a credit so I can use the ticket and to get the airline change fee waived for my ticket. They will not lose my money they already have. I also do not expect them to waive the change fee for my flying companion. I believed a surgeon's statement would truthfully represent the situation. I wouldn't think of a refund given the turmoil in the airline industry.

BeachBoi Sep 25th, 2008 10:45 AM

Believe me, I understand your frustration.Yes I agree 100% a statement from a surgeon should suffice.All of my friends are in travel and travel related jobs.The stories they tell!! Customer service in most industries is lacking these days.

Jeff_Costa_Rica Sep 25th, 2008 10:54 AM

First, I hope you are doing well after the surgery. That's the most important thing. :)

Second, if this is the documentation they need, then get it. Whether or not you think the first statement should be sufficient, it apparently isn't, and it doesn't sound like you'll obtain the credit any other way. Get the statement from the hospital and be done with it. I agree with Beach Boi. They are extending you a courtesy if they waive the change fee. Comply with what they ask for. Or be prepared to pay the change fee.

janisj Sep 25th, 2008 11:02 AM

Most users of that sort of medical information (insurance, travel insurance, airlines, disability claims - whatever) would require hospital discharge info. I don't think they are out of line. I worked in a field where medical info was needed, and we always had to get certs from both the doctor and the hospital or surgery center.

It would seem to be normal procedures . . . . .

Seamus Sep 25th, 2008 07:53 PM

Don't take it personally. They don't know you or your surgeon. And believe it or not, there have been cases where people got fake letters, whether on purloined stationery or via a "favor" from a surgeon friend. They are giving you the chance to save the value of your fare.

gail Sep 25th, 2008 11:21 PM

It is not that unusual for someone to have a real MD friend who is willing to help them out by writing a fake letter.

But, more common, it is very easy to create fake letterhead on a computer and writie anything one wants from "Dr. Smith" or take real letterhead from "Dr. Smith" and using a computer cut and paste a fake letter. It is much more difficult to fake admission note and discharge summary - fake ones of these take about 20 seconds to spot if you know what you are doing.

In my line of work (rehab RN who qualifies people for services thru Medicaid) I see questionable documents every month.

And if you had purchased trip cancellation insurance, they would likely require something similar. Don't blame it on customer services, blame it on customers who have commited fraud in the past.

hardwater Oct 14th, 2008 08:38 AM

Many thanks to those who replied to my original posting. I did provide an admission/discharge statement from the hospital and after a long wait, NW agreed to waive their $250 change fee. Lessno did charge $100 per ticket however. I did rebook
(I am doing quite nicely now) but had to depart within 60 days of my original departure date of 9-4-08. NWest gave me 3 weeks to rebook ( I was just informed 10-10) and take this vacation, a bit of short notice for someone who is still working but I did it. I would like to add I received excellent customer service from Lessno, always getting a prompt reply from them to every request. They did not forget about me when I needed help.