NWA Transatlantic

Aug 23rd, 2008, 10:11 AM
Original Poster

NWA Transatlantic

After reading a number of negative reports about NWA and its staff, and having already booked SJC to MAD (via MSP & AMS)in mid August, I was afraid I was in for a terrible trip.

I was pleasantly surprised! Although my itinerary, with two stops along the way, wasn't the best - it was my own choice because I was joining my sister along the way - I cannot complain about the service nor the comfort (considering I was in cattle-class).

The flight attendents were, without exception, friendly and willing to go the extra mile to make passengers comfortable. I observed a couple flyers who made rather unreasonable requests - one didn't care for either of the meal choices and was offered a fruit plate instead, even after he had eaten most of the regular meal. Another was upset about a crying baby and the attendant was able to move him to another seat, even though the flight was almost full.

The meals were fine for coach, and always served with a smile. The seats on the A330 were much more comfortable than other flights I have made across the Atlantic. Not sure if the NWA has better seat pitch, but I never felt that horrible claustrophobia I have endured in the past on Lufthansa and American.

All in all, I was pleasantly impressed by the NWA staff and service.

Aug 23rd, 2008, 02:15 PM

Glad to hear about this. I had also assumed NWA transatlantic flights would be like their domestic ones.
Aug 23rd, 2008, 03:56 PM

NW's longhauls are nothing like their domestic. I'll post my report on flying to HKG recently with them some time.
Aug 24th, 2008, 04:24 PM

If you are on an A330 aircraft, then NW is, quite possibly, the best trans-Atlantic coach product out there - and I have flown a lot of them. Comfortable seating in a relatively (it is still coach, though) configuration. Free booze. Edible enough food. AVOD at every seat. Staff that, in my experience, have been good. They are the only trans-Atlantic coach carrier that I will pay any sort of premium for.

Now, I wouldn't necessarily take a double connection unless, like scdreamer, I had another reason to do so, but if the schedule is competitive and the price is competitive, then NW is a great, great choice.

Search this Thread