Reload this Page >

best site for airfare deals

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26th, 2003, 01:28 PM
arwen

Does anyone have any good website suggestions to finding the best deal? I'm tired of expedia and orbitz.

Old Feb 26th, 2003, 01:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any other website is going to give you some sort of fits, may be worse than those two, which are at least hooked into main airlines. I usually check Orbitz and maybe Travelocity and then go directly to the website of whichever airline seems to have the schedule/price range I want. Always more reliable to be dealing directly w/airline, esp. in case of problems, and often they have on-line booking discount that equals or betters a third-party website.<BR>
Old Feb 26th, 2003, 03:13 PM

I agree with soccr....<BR>There really is no one best place, but if I had to pick I would say that in most cases one gets a better deal directly from airlines websites. Obviously that excludes any consolidator, tour, student, etc... fares.<BR>I just purchased AA tickets on AA.com for a late March flight from Tampa to Tokyo. AA.com priced it for me at $705.00 R/T. I also checked Expedia and Orbitz. Expedias best price was on NW for about $750.00, and when I specifically requested AA, it came back with a whopping $1500. Orbitz came back with NW as well, but it was $705(same as AA, but with $5.00 charge it came to $710), and when again I requested AA, it came back with nothing, stating that the airline does not offer any flights on the dates requested??????????<BR>Anyway, my point is that it takes time and persistance to find a good fare, but don't ever fool yourself thinking that you found the best, as there is always something better outthere. So get the one you're happy with and enjoy the trip.
Old Feb 26th, 2003, 06:28 PM

Depends on your destination. Orbitz and Expedia seem really to have captured the market ex USA. Trouble is that these days it is very very difficult for many overseas/foreign websites to get even listed on major search engines, same applies with hotels. Try searching for a hotel in a remote place of the world and you get all the mega-huge web player hotel companies dominating the search engines, you would be lucky ever to find a small local operator.
Old Feb 28th, 2003, 12:50 PM
arwen

Thanks Everyone.

Old Mar 10th, 2003, 10:58 AM

While I don't use it to book tickets, I find the Canadian site, Destina.ca, is very good for researching routes and carriers (all over the world, not just routes involving Canada, or Air Canada). It's quick, user-friendly, allows multi-city itineraries and gives decent prices (but not necessarily deeply discounted fares).