Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Air Travel (https://www.fodors.com/community/air-travel/)
-   -   Not locking checked luggage (https://www.fodors.com/community/air-travel/not-locking-checked-luggage-289763/)

mjnbrown Feb 17th, 2003 10:10 AM

Not locking checked luggage

Hi -<BR><BR>Now that we are not supposed to lock our luggage with the little padlocks, how is the best way to keep zippered luggage closed? Will just a large twist-tie work, or heavy string? I would appreciate anyone's suggestions, as I leave for NZ in less than 2 weeks!<BR>Martha<BR>

AAFrequentFlyer Feb 17th, 2003 10:42 AM

This was discussed sometime back. If you do a search, you should be able to find different suggestions. Personally, if I do have checked luggage, the little plastic ties that electricians and cable guys use to bundle wires and cables together, work the best for me.<BR>You could buy them at any hardware store or even at your local Walgreens, Kmart, etc... in the hardware dept. They are very inexpensive, so each time you get to your destination, just cut it with scissors or a knife and use another one for later trips. I believe you could get a package of 25 or 50 for few dollars.<BR>Have a great trip!

Richard1148 Feb 17th, 2003 11:33 AM

AAFrequent Flyer - I thought you can't carry on scissors or knives, so where are you getting the scissors or knives to cut these plastic ties?

x_x_x Feb 17th, 2003 11:43 AM

A couple of options for cutting off the cable ties: you can use nail clippers that you can now take in your carry on, or you can take along blunt tipped scissors ( the kind that are made for young children ) either in your carry on or in one of the ouside pockets of your checked bag.

soccr Feb 17th, 2003 12:00 PM

Don't laugh. Duct tape.

AAFrequentFlyer Feb 17th, 2003 12:20 PM

Richard1148,<BR>I don't know about you, but most of the time when I get somewhere I usually check-in to a hotel or maybe stay at a friends house in which case it should not be a problem. I would assume that's about 90% of travelers. The other times as was suggested above, nail clippers work just fine, or since you are checking the luggage, put a cheap pair of scissors in the side pocket of the checked-in luggage.

Jed Feb 18th, 2003 06:57 AM

We use a nylon strap which snaps off easily, protects it from opening accidently, and has a bright green color makes it easy to spot.

Cassandra Feb 18th, 2003 07:01 AM

Actually, I've used tape -- not duct tape, which can look pretty industrial, but colored fabric tape. Just lay a wide strip of it over the zipper(s) -- makes it easy to see if bag has been opened, also aids in identifying it at bag.claim.

DMG Feb 18th, 2003 11:37 AM

Just returned from SE Asia. I used the little wire twists that come with baggies. They worked just fine, no need for scissors. I also used luggage straps so it would make it that much harder though not impossible for someone to quickly open the bags and steal things.

J_Correa Feb 18th, 2003 04:03 PM

I never check anything of value anyway - just clothing and toiletries - so I'm not too worried about someone stealing my stuff. As far as keeping the luggage from accidentally openning, I have soft-sided luggage with zippers and have never had a problem.