Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Air Travel (https://www.fodors.com/community/air-travel/)
-   -   Norwegianair experiences (https://www.fodors.com/community/air-travel/norwegianair-experiences-1022013/)

robincal Aug 4th, 2014 08:32 AM

Norwegianair experiences

Wondering if anyone on the forums has tried Norwegianair. Their prices look very attractive for some cities, but I believe they charge alot for baggage, no meal unless you pay extra etc. From the US, they seem to offer some of the best prices from California (Oakland) to some places in Europe, if one has a flexible calendar, and doesn't mind flying into Oslo first.

Dickie_Gr Aug 4th, 2014 11:07 AM

We used them from the UK to Tromso. They did what was asked : great fare, set off on time, professional service.

You will not clearly get a flat bed and caviar on tap for the prices.

I recently noticed that they were attempting to be the first low cost airline to break up the monopolies of trans Atlantic travel.

Good luck to them.

robincal Aug 4th, 2014 12:32 PM

I looked up alot of reviews on an airtravel review site and the trend seemed to be that within Europe there was alot of positive feedback, but the trans-Atlantic flights had alot of poor reviews, due to some serious late flight issues, and not the greatest service. Hopefully they improve on this.

newtome Aug 4th, 2014 01:06 PM

The main knock on transatlantic service seems to be that they lease some planes, and if your transatlantic flight winds up on a leased plane it's usually older and funky. If you don't mind that risk it's probably OK. News reports do say they are having some financial problems so I wouldn't book far out dates.

Odin Aug 5th, 2014 03:25 AM

I've flown Norwegian several times to/from Scandinavia, most recently last week and will fly on them again at the end of the month. The planes were new and I liked the free wifi and being able to access inflight maps and entertainment on my ipad. Food/drink is payable, the menu was very limited and expensive but for a short flight I don't care.

The flight last week was delayed by couple of hours due to weather in Western Europe. I didn't get any notification by text or email despite having those details in the reservation. I only got notification via my TripCase app. We were given a voucher for a drink. Not sure if I would want to fly with a low cost airline long haul. It's ok if everything goes to plan, but when there are delays or cancellations, you are on your own & I have had plenty of situations lately. Low cost airlines tend to use gates that are a million miles away, steps to get on/off the plane, it's all a bit tiresome if you travel alot and you definitely notice the difference in service when you travel on regular airlines.

UKGUNNER Aug 6th, 2014 02:24 AM

I would just save yourself the stress and possible financial loss and fly with another carrier. Just check out the Twitter hash tag #NeverFlyNorwegian and the facebook group Norwegian Airlines Experiences From Hell repeated complaints and customer failings to be found.