Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Air Travel (https://www.fodors.com/community/air-travel/)
-   -   NORWEGIAN- what suitcase can you carry on (https://www.fodors.com/community/air-travel/norwegian-what-suitcase-can-you-carry-on-1665401/)

OverIt Mar 31st, 2019 04:42 PM

NORWEGIAN- what suitcase can you carry on

Hi, we are flying to Europe from the U.S. for a one week trip. Hoping to not check a bag on the way over. Would rather buy two new bags than pay the fee. any ideas about what bag?

janisj Mar 31st, 2019 08:31 PM

Surely you booked on the website . . . it spells out exactly what their rules are. https://www.norwegian.com/us/travel-info/baggage/
and specifically cabin luggage https://www.norwegian.com/us/travel-.../hand-baggage/

OverIt Apr 1st, 2019 05:08 AM

Yes, I have read the directions on the Norwegian website. My question is slightly different: are there bags that actually meet this standard? I am guessing that given the number of folks on this board that brag about traveling without checking luggage that there must be some.

My current bags are all too big (except my kids' suitcase - which they will be using). I have also read about 6278432 reviews of Norwegian Airlines travelers saying bags they thought would fit did not actually fit and they had to pay extra despite measuring stuff at home. I have also scrutinized the actual measurements of bags and am finding that things advertised as 20 inches are really 21.8 if you add the wheels, etc. I have read that Norwegian will charge you if any part of your bag pokes out of what seems like a really small measuring device.I am also seeing that evening small bags weigh enough to eat into your allowance for example, if you have a 10 kg limit and your bag itself weighs 3.5 kg...).

So, rather than pay them a bunch of fees, I was thinking maybe to invest in two new bags that meet this standard. I was looking at the IT bags.

J62 Apr 1st, 2019 05:48 AM

When traveling with a carry-on, on a plane or airline with limited overhead size I use a soft sided duffel/gym bag. It cost me about $5 when I bought it about 20yrs ago and has been on countless trips. When it gets dirty I throw it in the wash. It has a shoulder strap, but no wheels. It actually fits more than my "small" roller bag and squishes/contorts to any space even on small regional jets where you see people gate checking roller bags. My personal item is a computer bag that fits electronics, snacks, 1 change of clothes, etc.

For trips of longer than 1 week I'll usually check a bag, usually for free since if fly either Southwest, or a carrier that I have FF status or a credit card. I've tucked this duffel bag in my luggage on trips to Europe and filled it up with laundry as we go. Some here on Fodors state they can do a 4 week trip to europe with only a small carry on. Good for them.

suze Apr 2nd, 2019 09:43 AM

I don't know the answer to your question but I'm a big fan of IT luggage. Some of the models are extremely lightweight for their size.

ltr Apr 4th, 2019 08:44 AM

I looked at IT bags as well for my Norwegian flight but went with really lightweight duffle bags that slipped over the handles of the grandkids little roller bags.

scdreamer Apr 4th, 2019 07:08 PM

I'm flying Norwegian transatlantic next week - and this is what I ended up getting in order to stay under the weight allowance in the cabin. Cheap duffel bag that only weighs 8 oz.

ltr Apr 5th, 2019 07:15 AM

Originally Posted by scdreamer (Post 16899168)
I'm flying Norwegian transatlantic next week - and this is what I ended up getting in order to stay under the weight allowance in the cabin. Cheap duffel bag that only weighs 8 oz.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

That is similar to the ones we used. I like that it has the strap tp slip over the handle of a roller bag so if you use it on a future trip it has that capability. Maybe that with IT carryon would be a good combination.

marvelousmouse Apr 5th, 2019 10:53 PM

I don't know if it helps, but the measuring device is not as small as it looks. My suitcase fit both times on the way over, but not on the way back, when it was "expanded". (This is less to do with the measuring device, and more to do with the fact I always end up shopping and overstuffing the suitcase). So I think as long as you have a carryon that meets the measurement requirements, and isn't overstuffed, you're fine.

But: Norwegian does enforce weight limits, and in my experience, you avoid a lot of hassle if you don't look overloaded--as in, most often, they ask to see your luggage and personal item, and eyeball it. If it looks excessive to them, that's when you're most likely to be looked at more closely. Again, you should be fine. When I've violated the weight limit, it's always been shoes and guide books. Wear your shoes, limit yourself to 1 book.

BTW: The length allowed is 55 cm. that does translate into 21.8 (or so) so that 20'' suitcase should be fine.

I don't care for duffels. However, I will admit that I can fit nearly as much in my backpack as my carryon. I don't like to travel with it though, as I prefer a hard side suitcase when traveling.

I like Samsonite, mainly because it tends to be very, very cheap during Macy's sales. when my current one dies, I'll probably try an Away bag, because I like the smallest size/features.

OverIt Apr 7th, 2019 06:19 AM

Thanks everyone. I weighed my cute little IT suitcase and it's 2.5 KG. The kids suitcases weigh 1.7 kg each. We bought another IT that supposedly weights 3.7 pounds from Amazon
I don't want to do duffels - but we do have a light one we could use if none of this works out.

Hopefully between the four of us we will be fine. It will be so weird to be traveling without books and a real personal item. But I'd like to try and am hoping this vacation will be one with minimal screens and distractions. We're flying at 11 PM so hopefully everyone just conks out for the entire 8 hour flight. And our return leaves at 7 PM - so we hopefully can dine at the airport and sleep.