Kudos to THAI A380 first class!!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9th, 2013, 06:46 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have to say that our Thai A380 flight from BKK to FRA (overnight flight) was one of the BEST flights we've ever taken. Ground staff in both BKK and FRA were outstanding. Service on the flight was lovely!! The seat is nice and wide, plenty of room for a side-sleeper like me! The Dom was flowing freely. Caviar was part of the starters for the dinner. LOTS of food choices, which you can book on line prior to flying. The flight crew were very polite, very helpful, very prompt when we requested anything.

I was disappointed we did not get to use the 'grand staircase' for entering and/or exiting. We had upper deck jetways instead. No big deal... The staircase was roped off during the flight. Not sure why? Do they not want 1st class roaming around downstairs? Or maybe they don't want economy class going upstairs?? Who knows.

All in all, a flight I will hopefully be able to duplicate SOON!
Old Jan 9th, 2013, 08:03 AM

Nice. Glad to hear it went so well. We have a Thai A 380 business class scheduled for Narita to Bkk.
Old Jan 9th, 2013, 09:50 AM
Original Poster

jacketwatch, it's really a beautiful plane. I think business class (or at least PART of business class) is upstairs as well. DS just got off the BKK-NRT A380 in first, and said he really enjoyed the experience as well. We all hope to do it again... SOON!

I had mentioned that some things were 'missing' and he wondered what I was talking about... Well, I really like the individual toothbrush/toothpaste kits that have been in the bathroom on other Thai flights I've recently taken. I like those kits that are available without opening up the nice new Rimowa first class amenities kit at my seat! Also, on UA flights there is a bottle of 'facial mist/moisturizer' in the bathroom and there was none on Thai. They have nice Bulgari products which are nice, but with they'd have facial mist too on Thai.
Old Jan 9th, 2013, 12:36 PM

Have you flown business on Asiana? If so how are the new quadrant smartium seats. Also doe ANA business also have these seats?
Old Jan 9th, 2013, 01:57 PM

Were you on a United miles reward? When I flew on Singapore's A380, they did let us walk down the back staircase. They have a small economy section in the back of the upper deck and the lower deck is economy except the front. Seating was 2x4x2 in the upper deck economy and 3x4x3 in the lower deck economy, but they really looked the same.

More problems with the Dreamliner and they only seat 219 people. Did Thai keep the fasten seatbelt sign on for the first hour of the flight like United does?
Old Jan 9th, 2013, 03:50 PM
Original Poster

Wally, yes, this was a United award ticket. The staircase is the one at the front of the plane, not the back. I wasn't anywhere else on the plane, so I don't know if there is a back stairway, but probably so. I was just disappointed we couldn't walk up and down that stairway.... (just one small 'complaint'.. not really a complaint... just a whinge?)

I have not flown Asiana or ANA so have no idea about their seats, jacketwatch. Sorry, can't help you with that.

Thai turns off the seatbelt sign very quickly after take off. I don't recall even once that it was back on for turbulence (there wasn't any) and then the sign went back on for landing. The pilot on the UA flight (FRA-ORD) right after the A380 flight DID leave the sign on for a long time. He managed to say he was 'sorry' when he made an announcement. Grrrrr... This sort of thing doesn't happen to me very often on UA, or any other carrier for that matter, but when it does, I really get antsy! When you need to go, you need to go! DH and I each finally got up and went, even with the sign on. It wasn't bumpy!!

I would love to fly the Dreamliner sometime, but not when they are having trouble! Let them get the bugs out of the plane, and then I'll get on one.
Old Jan 10th, 2013, 02:15 PM

About two weeks ago, I flew NRT-BKK in F on Thai (747 with a 9-seat F cabin). Absolutely wonderful flight, as good or better than Asiana F. So much better than United.
Old Jan 10th, 2013, 02:24 PM
Original Poster

I've seen reports on the new 747 configuration in F. Would like to try it at some point!

Agree, so much better than UA. But I'm loyal... 1K... million miler, etc etc etc.... I'll keep buying UA flights and saving up my FF miles for free F class on the likes of Thai and LH and others.
Old Jan 10th, 2013, 02:57 PM

If you want to use United miles to fly in F (or business) on Lufthansa, you're no longer able to plan in advance -- seats are available only 2 weeks before a flight. (Seats are available using LH miles around 355 days in advance.)
Old Jan 11th, 2013, 02:22 PM

I had 2 recent trip/legs on Thai Airways in business. I was not impressed at all, neither was hubby. The flight attendants were so disinterested and at times just rude. So different from other Asian carriers I have been on.
Old Jan 11th, 2013, 03:20 PM

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
We flew on Thai Air first class Rome to BKK last year - it was fabulous. We were the only people in first class and had 4 attendants waiting on us. Service and food were superb. Never experienced anything like it. And being zipped thru the BKK airport on the golf cart was wonderful.
Old Jan 13th, 2013, 04:16 AM
Original Poster

The only thing that could have been better at FRA Thai service would have been the golf cart. It was a L-O-N-G walk from point A to point B. Had we not had the terrific ground agent, we would have been floundering.... for sure!
Old Jan 13th, 2013, 01:07 PM
Original Poster

Don, I've seen bus class on LH available....