AA v BA transatlantic

Old Aug 11th, 2002, 11:51 PM
Dave

AA v BA transatlantic

Can anyone advise me of comparisons between AA and BA on transatlantic flights flying coach class, with regard to seat pitch and comfort, service, in-flight entertainment and food quality. <BR>I have flown BA before, but never AA, and in my experience BA are pretty crap in terms of the above. My question is, are AA worse ?<BR><BR>regards

Old Aug 12th, 2002, 03:07 AM
AA

If you don't like BA, you will be a difficult customer to satisfy. I'm not saying that they are great, but they are sufficient. Anyway here is my take on these two. Service depends on the crew you happen to get. I've had excellent service on both and I've had shitty service. It's a close one but I would give the edge to BA on this one. Coach comfort goes to AA with their MRTC. Most BA planes have personal video choice, most AA do not on the transatlantic so BA on this one. Airline food, well we all know how grat it usually is, don't we? flip a coin on that one. So there you have it. I'm not sure if it's a big deal to you, but both airlines are part of the OneWorld alliance, yet to protect themselves they have an agreement that if you fly BA transatlantic you can't earn AA miles and vice-versa, if you fly AA transatlantic you can't earn BA miles. Once you cross the big pond either way, you could fly either one and earn miles for either program. It's a big deal for me, since I'm an AA miles junkie. Depending on where you are traveling from/to it is about 4000-5000 miles each way.

Old Aug 12th, 2002, 06:36 AM
dick

http://travel.simplyquick.com/discount-airfares/airlines.html<BR><BR>Give this a try for comparisons.

Old Aug 20th, 2002, 06:02 AM
David

My wife and I have flown both BA and AA transatlantic numerous times. We generally do so in coach class as we nearly always redeem our frequent flyer miles, although sometimes we purchase tickets (the service is always the same regardless of whether you fly with frequent flyer miles or a paid ticket --- the flight attendants haven't a clue how you obtained your seats). Generally, I would advise that AA is the best, due primarily to the extra legroom they provide in coach. However, BA is more generous with their amenities (toothpaste, toothbrush, eyeshades, gin and tonics, etc.) than is AA. It all depends on whether your preferences lie with space or amenities. Also, I find that I prefer the seating arrangements on AA's Boeing 767 and 777 to BA's Boeing 747. Finally, much depends on whether your destination is London or beyond. AA flys nonstop from a number of U.S. cities to Frankfurt, Brussels and Paris, in addition to London. BA, on the other hand, requires a transfer (time consuming) in London to any of these destinations. Bottom line is that either will eventually get you where you are going. If prices are the same, I'd choose AA. If BA substantially undercuts AA in the price department, however, I'd go with them. Bon voyage.

Old Aug 27th, 2002, 08:48 AM
John

If you think BA are crap why not try Aeroflot?

Old Aug 27th, 2002, 10:53 AM
Vince

John, what about Aeroflot? Could you please elaborate?

Old Aug 27th, 2002, 11:12 PM
it's

or china airlines. at least ba hasn't had any crashes for a while.

Old Aug 28th, 2002, 06:29 AM
John

Elaborate on what? The cheese sandwiches or the overnight stopover in Moscow?