Noise Reducing Headphones

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1st, 2006, 04:24 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are these worth the money? We are flying to Joannesburg again and would like to make the fligth more comfortable.
Old Nov 1st, 2006, 04:45 AM

They may be worth the money -- I would not travel without them -- but some cost more than others. Bose are the Gold Standard, but my experience and that of a lot of other people is that you can get 80% of the Bose functionality at 33% of the price.

They work, by the way, both to reduce airplane noise as well as to listen to music with less noise.

I hope that one result of these posts is that someone will tell us about headphones that are BETTER than Bose at half the price!
Old Nov 1st, 2006, 05:22 AM

Personally, I love my Bose Headset and never fly without it, so for me, yes - they are "worth it". My first exposure to using them was when I flew First Class to Paris a number of years ago and was given a pair to use while watching and listening to the in-flight entertainment. Of course, I had to give them back to the FA at the end of the flight but that was enough to get me "hooked". I bought my own pair as soon as I got back home. I fly often so my "per usage" cost after all these years of flying is minimal.

I've read there are other Noise Cancelling Headsets available that are far less costly but having never used them I can't compare.
Old Nov 1st, 2006, 05:41 AM

I was on a Qantas flight last year and they were given to me in Business Class. After the movie, I took the headphones off to sleep and the sound of the engine was so loud, I put them back on. The only problem, it was hard to sleep on my side with the earphones on.
Old Nov 1st, 2006, 08:03 AM

I tried the Bose, at $300, if I recall correctly, but could not discern any difference between them and some Aiwas, at $50. Perhaps my old ears lack discrimination. I think the Bose are worth the cost only if you value image highly.

Since I wear glasses, neither was really comfortable, so I got some Sonys that fit into the ear and do just as well, while being more comfortable. A disadvantage of those that fit into the ear is that they are harder to remove when a flight attendant needs to talk to you.
Old Nov 1st, 2006, 10:02 AM

I use Bose everytime I fly AA internationally as they are given out to business/first class passengers, but I would never buy a pair. It's not the price, it's their size, bulkiness. They are great otherwise....

I own a pair of Sony's earplug type noise reduction headphones (~$100+) and they do a great job all the other times and a a joy to store in my laptop bag. The battery compartment is only about 2" long and 1" wide and the (skinny)cables wrap around it.....Love'm and would not fly without'm....
Old Nov 1st, 2006, 12:35 PM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
IMO, Bose has been masterful at marketing an overpriced item; there are many lower priced NC head/earphones that do a more than adequate job. Remember, it's an airplane AV system we're talking about here, not some high-end home theatre.

We personally use some JVC 'phones that I bought for US$40 after shopping Bose, Sennheiser, Sony, and a bunch of other brands. It is indeed a personal thing, but with most of the name-brand 'phones coming in at 20% - 40% of the Bose, the hype baffles me. In my and my wife's opinion, our JVCs sound better than the Bose, have better battery life, a retracting cord, and are more comfortable. YMMV.
Old Nov 1st, 2006, 02:07 PM

I don't doubt that there are better quality earphones for sound reproduction but the Bose headsets are excellent for noise reduction. That's the primary reason I use them - the quality of the sound reproduction is wasted on me - I've never been able to differenciate between sound systems
Old Nov 1st, 2006, 05:44 PM

I have a pair of the Bose, but I don't use them anymore except at home. They are too big/bulky and take up too much room in my bag. They create their noise cancellation by producing "white noise" that blocks out the outside sound. I prefer the Etymotic ER4-P "in ear" style ear buds. They cancel out noise just like a foam earplug. Sound quality is superior to Bose, but the price is only slighty less expensive. They make an ER6i ear bud for $150 that are also quite good. Other in ear brands to check out are Shure, Westone and Ultimate Ears.
Old Nov 1st, 2006, 06:17 PM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
I love my Bose headphones and never fly without them. I fly from Singapore to LAX twice a year (16.5 hours!) and I keep them on the entire flight, whether I'm watching movies, listening to music or trying to sleep.
Old Nov 1st, 2006, 07:07 PM

I really like my Bose QC2, but they are bulky and at $300 I worry about leaving them on the plane.

I got a pair of Sharper Image headphones for about $60 and love them. I'm sure that the Bose sound quality is superior, but the sound quality of my Sharper Image pair is very good plus they are way less bulky.

So now my QC2's stay home and I take the Sharper Image pair
Old Nov 2nd, 2006, 05:01 AM
HKP

I have the Bose; I also have $100 "noise reducing" buds from Brookstone or Sharper Image (forget which); SO has earbud type - forget the brand but almost as expensive.

He uses and loves his; I only take the Bose on long trips when I'm willing to put up with the bulk, which isn't often.

But as far as sound quality, let me make the following comments:

There's noise-blocking because you've got something on/in/around your ears, and there's technological noise-reduction achieved by blocking specific frequencies.

Bose's acoustical technology actually targets the noise frequencies associated with big plane engines, which is obvious if you turn the noise-reduction button on and off during a flight. The fact that the phones cover your ears does help block some noise, but the frequency manipulation is the primary benefit. Fortunately, it's done well enough that few other frequencies are blocked, so the sound of the music is not significantly changed.

My 1/3-the-cost "noise reduction" earbuds also block frequencies, but they're crude in that they also block a bunch of the frequencies in the music, so the quality of the music is crappy. I never use those.

SO's expensive earbud-type also block some of the music frequencies, but much less so -- for many types of music, it's fine. However, they have plastic rather than soft, rubbery earbuds, so they aren't as comfortable and don't cut out surrounding noise the way the softer ones do.

When I have the money and the time, I will be looking for the best of both: earbuds that are soft and actually block the ear canal(as if earplugs), and very precise frequency-blocking that doesn't make classical music sound like it's recorded on a wax cylinder.
Old Nov 3rd, 2006, 07:38 AM

Todays edition of the Wall Street Journal compared 5 sets of noise reducing headphones. The new Bose QC3 were rated the best in both noise canceling and music reproduction.
Old Nov 3rd, 2006, 08:41 AM

I use the Shure ear buds and like them very much. The ear pieces come in different sizes and material, which makes it easier to get a good fit, and I can leave them in for 2-3 hours without feeling uncomfortable. I sleep on my side, and the ear buds are excellent for that (unlike any headphones I've ever used).
Old Nov 3rd, 2006, 02:06 PM

Parrot Pop picked up a pair of headphones at the Brookstone Outlet in Maine and swears by them...he also uses a pair with his snowblower... as for me...I can sleep at the drop of a hat..Slept almost the entire time from Boston to London....without anything.
Old Nov 4th, 2006, 01:15 PM
HKP

Shure is the maker of SO's very nice earbud-earphones.
Old Nov 5th, 2006, 10:08 AM

Well, I just ordered a pair of the new Sony earbud style MDR-NC22 (available in Japan, soon to be in US) bsed on decent reviews and the samll size. Will try them out on an upcoming 13 hour flight and report back afterward.
Old Nov 6th, 2006, 10:48 AM

we just got back from an OZ trip and used the Bose QC2.....3 hours from Dallas to LA and 14 t Oz, they were excellent...nice carrying case comes with them too..what a relief from the engine noise and the baby's crying thru the flight...and the sound is super on the inflight system....it was a once in a lifetime adventure so I bought the best....now I hope to sell them somehow...too bad I dont need them anymore, they are a nice product..
Old Nov 8th, 2006, 09:47 AM

I have the Bose ones and as far as I'm concerned they're worth every penny. I have the ones that go OVER the ears...not the new model ones. Happy Travels!
Old Nov 9th, 2006, 07:03 AM

I personally use the Shure ear buds which seal out the unwanted noise. As a plus, it doesn't need batteries, but it does take some getting use to.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -