Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Air Travel (https://www.fodors.com/community/air-travel/)
-   -   No prior seat assignments on Singapore Airlines (https://www.fodors.com/community/air-travel/no-prior-seat-assignments-on-singapore-airlines-841333/)

Lee May 22nd, 2010 07:00 AM

No prior seat assignments on Singapore Airlines

Upon choosing ff flights from SFO to SIN, I was "talked into" choosing Singapore Airlines on the SFO/SIN leg (I needed to do make this transaction by phone at the outset). I agreed even though I had a previous less than perfect experience with them. I was appalled to find out that seat assignments could not be chosen online ( only with internet paid bookings). No seats could be assigned until 48 hours prior to the flight. If I had booked with United I could have had my seat immediately.

From internet postings I see that BA charges $30 for each seat choice, and I am wondering what other "major players" in the world of long haul carriers do not allow seats to be reserved until shortly before the flight or charge substantial amounts to do so. Singapore Airlines is generally rated as The Best Choice--surely this shortsighted software defect puts it in a NO Choice category.

NoFlyZone May 22nd, 2010 08:09 AM

The Horror!

alanRow May 22nd, 2010 10:03 AM

Who cares that much about seat assignments that they've *have* to have them several months before the flight?

northie May 22nd, 2010 04:11 PM

It would seem to be mostly US airlines that allow seat choice early than 24 hours.2 long haul carriers- Qantas do not give choice at all unless you are a Qantas Club member, BA only 24 hours ahead unless you are business or high status FF.

Louise May 22nd, 2010 04:33 PM

Not true about BA. They require $90 for a business class seat.

Jimingso May 22nd, 2010 05:57 PM

You're sorry you're flying Singapore Airlines instead of United. This is a joke, right?

Melnq8 May 23rd, 2010 12:19 AM

Really? I fly Singapore Air frequently and I always book my seats and meals well in advance. I suppose you've tried selecting your seats online using your confirmation number?

As much as I love Singapore Air, I do find their online booking a bit unfriendly. It's set up for KrisWorld members and if you're not one of them, you have to jump through hoops.

You're a helluva lot better off flying SIA than United, believe me. I just flew SIN-NRT-SFO return on United...they can't hold a candle to SIA IMO.

Lee May 23rd, 2010 05:42 AM

I just flew SFO/PEK/SFO on a paid United ticket and found the service very acceptable. As I said previously, one flight on Singapore Air was very discriminatory--women were ignored and men served preferentially ( no, I am not fat, old, ugly or otherwise not worthy of service ). The confirmation code will not allow any seat choices unless the ticket is booked on Singapore web site.

MissGreen May 24th, 2010 01:37 AM

Louise - $90 charge to reserve a business class seat?? Unbelievable. I have booked business class for my trip to Egypt and didn't have to pay. I find it incredible that you could of paid 7000 for a ticket and they want to charge you another 90.

Louise May 24th, 2010 05:18 AM

The BA $90 for business went into affect last fall I believe. Perhaps you booked your ticket before then? Or, as someone else mentioned, maybe you are only charged when you don't book through BA directly. Although, now that I think of it, I seem to remember it says that right on their website. I encountered this last week when I booked through my travel agent. I opted to pay as it was important my niece and I sit together and one leg out of four for our trip to Africa in business was already filled for October. Sad, isn't it.