Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Air Travel
Reload this Page >

Newbie to international travel: a couple of questions

Newbie to international travel: a couple of questions

Aug 27th, 2004, 01:16 PM
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 12,966
You're right. Now that I think about it, I do have both entry and exit stamps for Ecuador as well. I think there are more countries than I realize because some of the procedures are so informal in nature like handing in your entry card that I don't even think of it as an immigration procedure. And I believe the UK is one of the exceptions as I don't recall going through passport control flying out of Heathrow last year. Now this may be a stupid question, but for anyone coming into the US on a visa or on the VWP, how do they know if you ever left or if you did or did not overstay?
Patty is offline  
Aug 27th, 2004, 01:27 PM
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 23,074
Patty - Visitors to the US have to fill out a I-94 form. The INS agent will take part of it, and staple the remaining tab to their passports. It's the airline who's flying you out of the country that has the responsibility to take that I-94 card from them and forward to INS. If leaving the US by road, the visitor should stop at the US border control before leaving the country and hand it in. [If one's just going to Canada by road for a few days and coming back by road again, then that may not be necessary. They may still see that original I-94 as valid. Some grey areas there.]

Sorry for taking this off-topic.
rkkwan is offline  
Aug 28th, 2004, 02:02 AM
Original Poster
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 35
You guys are very kind in helping me w/my misunderstandings.

I finally do have it straight in my head. In general, and for purposes of my trip, I only pass through immigrations/customs when ARRIVING in the new country - so, like you said above, outbound we'd go through the process probably at West End/Soper's Hole, inbound at either C.A. or Red Hook, and again at STT (you can see I've done my research.....)

It's good to know I can book my best- connection flights when it comes time to do so.

Next step: get those passport applications done! Thanks again.....
hens4th is offline  
Aug 29th, 2004, 06:55 PM
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 138
Immigration concerns aside, you need to contact the airline directly to ensure that you have a legal connection in both directions. Let them ticket your trip - problems caused by not understanding this fundamental of flying when using one of the web-based travel services are impossible to fix once you've left home. PLEASE believe me - I have lived and worked and travelled overseas since I was a child and I have had an AARP card for several years!!!
wpcx2 is offline  
Related Topics
Original Poster
Last Post
Air Travel
Aug 21st, 2009 12:10 PM
Jul 26th, 2004 09:13 AM
Apr 12th, 2003 12:06 PM
United States
Aug 1st, 2002 07:10 PM
United States
Apr 25th, 2001 04:59 PM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 02:42 AM.