Reload this Page >

Newbie Question re: Connections in International Airports

Notices

Old Feb 14th, 2007, 04:38 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all! I've flown a bit domestically but never internationally with connecting flights. Could someone tell me if this itinerary is doable?
Flight 1: Icelandair MSP to KEF (1 h,5 min layover), KEF to FRA. Flight 2: SAS MUC to CPH (3 h, 25 min layover), Icelandair CPH to KEF (1 h, 25 min layover) KEF to MSP.

Do our checked bags go all the way through without having to be claimed for customs clearance? Do we need time to clear immigration/customs in each of these airports? Will we have problems making the connecting flights?

Thanks for you help,

Wall67
Old Feb 14th, 2007, 06:25 PM

I have not flown via KEF, but I would imagine they will make sure you make your connection as it is their base. The CPH layover is certainly long enough at 3+ hours.

As long as the airlines have interline agreements (which I imagine these do), your bags will be checked through with with customs at FRA and MSP.

You would probably stay within international transit at KEF, so no need for immigration until FRA. Return the immigration would be at MSP.
Old Feb 14th, 2007, 08:13 PM

I agree. Icelandair's main business is N. America - Europe flights, and they're all timed to connect. They'll hold connecting flights to wait for a late one, unless it's excessively delayed.
Old Feb 15th, 2007, 03:38 AM

Why would you stay in "international transit" at KEF?

Iceland's in Schengen, even though it's not in the EU. So you should go through Schengen immigration at KEF and you arrive at FRA as if on a domestic flight.

Your bags will - in theory - be liable to Customs inspection only on arrival at Frankfurt. There, they will be recognisable as having originated outside the EU by their baggage tags and would be inspected if German Customs officials didn't have better things to do with their time.

Returning, on your flights from Munich and Copenhagen, you are treated as a domestic passenger. You go through Schengen outbound passport control at KEF, though again your bags should be through-checked from Germany to the US.

Though double check the baggage situation on the MUC-CPH leg with SAS, since airlines are getting increasingly difficult about through checking onto a different airline if more than one ticket's involved.
Old Feb 15th, 2007, 01:13 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone, I'm feeling better about the connections.