Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Air Travel (https://www.fodors.com/community/air-travel/)
-   -   Newark - to Europe in September (https://www.fodors.com/community/air-travel/newark-to-europe-in-september-789042/)

Vicky Jun 9th, 2009 08:34 AM

Newark - to Europe in September

I am flying Continental to Geneva via Newark. In a recent trip report, the poster said there were so many planes in line it took them 3 hours to get to the front for take off. This really scares me!!! is this the norm - anyone have experiences flying out of Newark? Not much I can do about it now without a $250 change fee but I need to prepare myself if this is going to be the case. What a way to start a vacation!

nytraveler Jun 9th, 2009 08:57 AM

All NYC airports are very crowded and thre is routinely a wait for takeoff. But, the time for the routine wait is built into the airliens schedule.

Three hours is NOT a routine wait - but can occur if there is bad weather - either in NYC or in wherever the planes are coming from.

You need to remember there is usually a strong tail wind from the US to Europe and flights that leave on schedule often arrive early - often 30 minutes or more - if there are facilities for landing them.

wally34949 Jun 9th, 2009 08:59 AM

A good thunderstorm and that is what can happen at any airport. No, three hours is not the norm, but if the delays are weather related, the airline is not responsible, as long as they eventually get you to your destination.

Think on the bring side, it will be sunny and beautiful and everything will be fine. And if you do get delayed on the plane for three hours, you will make a new best friend.

Anything can happen when traveling. One can always stay home and go to bed.

RoamsAround Jun 10th, 2009 01:41 PM

A lot depends on your departure time, the air traffic in the area and the weather. As others pointed out a 3 hour dely is unusual but in the late afternoon and early evenings delays lasting anywhere from 30 to 90 minutes are more the norm.

I wouldn't let it worry too much. First there's nothing you can do about it and second, due to the lenght of your flight on a trip to Europe you are likely to make up most or all of your "lost time" because you'll have a tail wind crossing the Atlantic.

rkkwan Jun 11th, 2009 11:15 AM

When you fly enough, you'll know that being delayed for 3 hours to start a vacation is really nothing. When you're prepared, you don't feel that bad. And I am 100% serious in what I am saying.

Now, when you are delayed for 24 hours, or if you miss a meeting or a cruise, or the start of a tour, etc; then you should start feeling bad about it.

EricH Jun 11th, 2009 11:36 AM

A delay also means that instead of arriving very early in the morning and having to wait for your room you arrive at a more decent hour.

MomDDTravel Jun 11th, 2009 01:27 PM

rkkwan - exactly - we were delayed over 24 hours in 07 getting to Paris...

MrNuke Jun 11th, 2009 01:41 PM

Continental is pretty good about giving priority to its international flights at Newark. It is generally the connection to EWR (if you have one) that is the concern.

rkkwan Jun 11th, 2009 03:25 PM

The outbound international flight will go out. 3, 4, 5 or 8 hours late. CO is very good in not canceling longhaul flights.

Like MrNuke says, the main issues with afternoon thunderstorms at NYC-area airports is the ground-delay programs. And that affect the shorthauls into EWR the most. Some flights like from Boston, DC (or the restarted Philly flights) may never get to take off if there's weather problem around NYC. And those flights are almost always late getting into EWR.