New TSA Screening Requirment

May 9th, 2009, 09:10 AM
Original Poster

New TSA Screening Requirment

I saw a local news report this week which claimed that as of this June, TSA would be requiring an exact match between ID and plane tickets. According to this report, if your boarding pass reads John Q. Smith and your driver license reads John Quinlan Smith, you will not be allowed to complete your security screening or board you plane.

I've seen no follow up on this and there is nothing about it on the TSA website. Sadly, it does have the ring of stupidity about it. Does anyone have any information about this? I don't think my full name would fit on a normal ticket. I know my wife's does not; yet that is what is on her passport.
May 9th, 2009, 09:33 AM
J62

I've gotten lots of chain letter emails on this. Some mention 5/15, others June, and others August.

The TSA website says nothing about ID changes. (at least not that I can find). Nothing on snopes either.
May 9th, 2009, 10:19 AM

i need to go research this as well, as I'll definitely be having a problem! Thanks for the heads up jeff801.
May 9th, 2009, 12:45 PM

Hey, I thought we voted for a new President last fall.
May 10th, 2009, 04:05 AM

Now, I am worried! My license and passport match but the ticket has the name which I usually use - no one calls me by my given name anyway (except for my third grade teacher many years ago) - which is a form of my real name with just 3 letters removed from the middle.
May 10th, 2009, 04:49 AM

I saw something about this on the United website a few weeks ago (didn't read it closely), but it doesn't seem to be there anymore.
May 10th, 2009, 07:13 AM

You can fly without id. Always were able to. You were just put through secondary search.

This report is a bogus as a $3 bill.
May 10th, 2009, 08:36 AM

I found this on the TSA site:

http://www.tsa.gov/what_we_do/layers...ight/faqs.shtm

"When does the full name requirement go into effect? When MUST my airline ticket match the name on my ID exactly?

Secure Flight requires that domestic aircraft operators request and collect full name as of May 15, 2009, and date of birth and gender as of August 15, 2009 for their domestic flights. For international flights, full name, date of birth, and gender must be requested and collected as of October 31, 2009. TSA has built some flexibility into the processes regarding passenger name accuracy. For the near future, small differences between the passenger’s ID and the passenger’s reservation information, such as the use of a middle initial instead of a full middle name or no middle name/initial at all, should not cause a problem for the passenger. Over time, passengers should strive to obtain consistency between the name on their ID and their travel information."
May 10th, 2009, 08:56 AM

They will collect the info during the reservation, but as clearly noted, a small difference as in the middle initial or full name being different will not effect your ability to use commercial airlines.
May 12th, 2009, 02:21 PM

I believe this refers to a TSA program called Secure Flight, and it looks like the real deal. Here's some info:

http://www.tsa.gov/press/releases/2009/0331.shtm

http://www.tsa.gov/what_we_do/layers...ght/index.shtm

http://www.tsa.gov/what_we_do/layers...#traveler_faqs
May 12th, 2009, 02:36 PM

I agreed in my earlier post, but the new program has nothing to do with exact match of your id and your ticket.
May 12th, 2009, 06:16 PM
J62

The line "Over time, passengers should strive to obtain consistency between the name on their ID and their travel information." tells the whole story. Strive being the operative word.

Any reports of such as "if your boarding pass reads John Q. Smith and your driver license reads John Quinlan Smith, you will not be allowed to complete your security screening or board you plane." seem to be off the mark. - definitely NOT the real deal.