New rules: gender and birth date

Sep 19th, 2009, 06:26 PM
Original Poster

New rules: gender and birth date

We'll fly domestic in October, and another airline in January - reservations made before implementation or even mentioning of the new rules.

Now the name should be exactly as on ID and we should tell them our genders and birth dates.

If the flights are reserved already, how/where can we add the information? Reservations were made with the airlines directly.
Sep 19th, 2009, 06:52 PM

Welcome to the POLICE STATE!

Don't worry about it. But if you are really determined to allow the TSA to harass you.... go to your airline website and click on your reservation, most of them are letting you add this useless information.

But I fly weekly, have not bothered to give the Thousand Standing Around this "needed information" and just keep getting right on the plane!

Honestly you can fly without an ID. This just proves that once again the TSA wants to APPEAR to be doing something.....
Sep 19th, 2009, 09:08 PM
Original Poster

Carol, thank you for trying to make a political statement out of my question (SARCASM). Yes, I agree, we are living in a police state since September 11 - and should've done this earlier, maybe at the time of the first bombing in 1993. At least the government trying to do something, and the recent arrest of Zazi, or something like this, proves it.

TSA is not harassing me, I don't have my anger misplaced. My anger is aimed at the terrorists who will try to blow up the plane we both are on, and they will never stop.

Now, that the political discussion is over, I hope, I can see my question is answered: I can add my personal info on the airlines' websites, that's all I wanted to know.

There is no way I will ever attempt to interfere with the TSA job to keep the skies at least a little safer.
Sep 20th, 2009, 05:30 AM

Well put, Dayenu. What a classy reply!
Sep 20th, 2009, 06:25 AM

The airlines have recently started collecting gender and birth date info, but I haven't read anywhere that that information needs to be gathered for older reservations. For example, the Secure Flight info page on American's website says:

"In accordance with this new policy, you will notice changes to our reservation process which have been made to obtain the necessary Secure Flight Passenger Data for reservations purchased beginning September 15, 2009. Please note that SFPD is not being collected from AA passengers whose tickets were issued prior to September 15, 2009, regardless of their travel date."

And the TSA's FAQ page says:

Q. What happens if my airline didn’t ask for any of that information?

A. Secure Flight will be phased-in and each airline will be incorporating the necessary changes into their systems over the coming months. Passengers shouldn't be concerned if particular airlines don't ask them to provide the additional information right away; it should not impact their travel. Each airline will request this information as their capability to capture it is integrated into their individual systems.

http://www.tsa.gov/what_we_do/layers...ight/faqs.shtm

I wouldn't worry too much about it.
Sep 20th, 2009, 06:49 AM

One legitimate reason for requiring DOB is that some travelers with identical or similar names are mistakenly pegged as being on the "watch list" and honored with extra security checks, inability to check in on-line, etc. (And some of you will remember that my husband has been on and off such a list for years - so if this helps accurately identify suspected evil-doers and not just my does-not-even-jaywalk or cheat on his taxes DH, then at least his business travel life will be a little easier).
Sep 20th, 2009, 07:31 AM
Original Poster

We'll fly in October, not sure when our son made reservations, and his girlfriend has a common American name, so I better alert them... once we put info in our profile, we won't have to think about it next time!

Thank you, everyone! Thank you, TxGirl
Sep 20th, 2009, 09:42 AM

Dayenu,

You will have to worry about it next time.

The profile information is not always updating the "pre existing" tickets. Others on other boards have reported that even though their profile is updated, it's not transferring to the tickets and they have to enter the data EVERY time they buy a ticket.

And I am sorry you don't like my response. But this does NOTHING to improve security. It ASSUMES the terrorist is flying under a KNOWN name. Do you really think they are that dumb? No, they are more likely to "steal" YOUR ID and fly as YOU.
Sep 20th, 2009, 03:53 PM

I too liked your reply, Dayenu. Thank you.

AA seems to have begun collecting the info Sept. 15. I booked a reservation a couple of days ago and a window popped up to give me the option of filling in the info. I did.

As was mentioned above, you don't need to worry about it for tickets you have already purchased.