Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Air Travel (https://www.fodors.com/community/air-travel/)
-   -   New Air France from LAX to CDG A380-800 - Any Experience? (https://www.fodors.com/community/air-travel/new-air-france-from-lax-to-cdg-a380-800-any-experience-938603/)

Surfergirl Jun 10th, 2012 06:38 PM

New Air France from LAX to CDG A380-800 - Any Experience?

We're going to be in business class on the new AF from LAX to CDG this July, and was just wondering if anyone can review or comment on the new plane flying out of LAX?

I guess the downside of the plane is it goes out of Bradley International because of the size of the size of the plane, so we have to use, I think, the Korean Airlines lounge rather than the AF that's in Terminal 2 (unless they finally re-opened the one at Bradley -- any news on this?). Any comments on the lounge?

Yes, I've read the standard reviews of the A380 international, and also read about the lounge -- just want Fodorites' opinions, which I tend to value more. :)

Surfergirl Jun 13th, 2012 06:44 PM

OK, maybe I asked this question too soon! But if anyone comes back from their trip who took this plane, let me know!

Leely2 Jun 15th, 2012 12:16 PM

This isn't the info you're looking for, but I just took the 380 <i>to</i> LAX from CDG yesterday. So I didn't visit any LAX lounge. We sat upstairs, in the smaller of the two Affaires cabins. I'd probably choose that section again because it was very quiet.

Leely2 Jun 15th, 2012 12:24 PM

Oh, I meant to add that food was pretty good, they just switched from Joel Robuchon-conceived meals to Guy Martin, not that I could tell the difference on an airplane. ;) AF doesn't rush to serve you stuff all the time, so do avail yourself of the bar/buffet when you need a snack or a drink. I think got up to get water about three times. Nice thing was that they had a lot of fresh fruit set out.

Seat was relatively comfortable but I was on a day flight so wasn't trying to sleep. Plane felt nicely new and clean.

Have a great journey!

Surfergirl Jun 15th, 2012 04:57 PM

Well, thanks, that was actually helpful! We'll be upstairs I think in seats 60 a and b in affaires. Only on this plane going over. Coming back, we'll be on the older plane.

hpeabody Jun 16th, 2012 07:27 AM

I am going t Paris the first week of Sept, 2012. I had a choice to to book this flilght, but opted for the later flight instead (It just works out better for me to combat any potential jet lag) Now I am a little sorry :( The plane sounds really nice

julia1 Jun 16th, 2012 01:47 PM

I think the real 'downside', for overnight flights, is that AF chose to equip their A380 business cabins with lie-flat seats, which are flat but angled, rather than flat-bed seats which are flat and horizontal.

Haven't flown the 380 with AF, but have with Emirates, which also uses the lie-flat seats in business - they are comfortable for sitting and lounging but not particularly so for sleeping as you tend to slide down.

I've also flown the 380 with Singapore, which uses the flat-bed seats, and there's a huge difference in sleeping comfort.