1 Hour 1 minute connection in Newark

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17th, 2014, 02:36 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be flying into Newark from ORD with a 1 hour 1 minute connection before my flight leaves for Rome. I will be in the front of the plane so should be off quickly. Will this be enough time to get to my international gate? thanks!
Old Nov 17th, 2014, 05:51 PM

You should be OK. If it was the other way around and you were arriving EWR from Rome, I'd say most probably NO WAY (although my August arrival at EWR from Rome was very quick indeed, using global services. Baggage was very quick also. I allowed myself about 3 hours before going on to Ohare.
Old Nov 17th, 2014, 06:41 PM

Both ORD and EWR are extremely busy airports and delays are common any time of the year at both. I would not book a 61 minute connection to a once-daily flight to Rome. 90 minutes is minimum comfortable time for myself and my family for IAH-EWR-Europe/Asia.

Since UA flies ORD-EWR every hour, why not take the noon flight rather than 1p?
Old Nov 18th, 2014, 03:19 AM

You are cutting it close - 1 hour works if your inbound flight arrives on time but even then you'll be "rushing". Better to take an earlier inbound flight if you can - remember it's much better to have an extra 30 minutes or so wartime between flights rather than arrive at the departure gate 1 minute after the attendant closes the door to the aircraft.
Old Nov 18th, 2014, 06:58 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, I've crossed that flight off my list.
Old Nov 18th, 2014, 08:55 AM

I don't think that's enough time since I tried to make the exact same connection before and I missed the flight and ended up finding a last minute ticket for JFK to Rome and I was lucky I made it for that flight so try to take an earlier ORD-EWR flight and if you can't see if there's a more suitable connection at JFK.
Old Nov 25th, 2014, 02:21 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
We had a flight that was delayed 10 hours. So even if we'd booked 3 hours at EWR it wouldn't have been enough. Bottom line you never know so book it if it's all on one ticket with the same airline. It's their obligation to make it work. In fact, if your plane in Chicago is running late, it's their obligation to find you a whole new itinerary from Chicago even if it's on another airline. They are not supposed to place you onto a flight that will miss it's connection. (Of course...sometimes you are already aboard when they figure out that you'll be leaving late...in that case get on the phone and make pre-arrangements for them to find you another connection so that it will be all settled by the time you land at Newark.
Old Nov 29th, 2014, 11:36 AM
Original Poster

Thanks - I'm going with an entirely different itinerary with about four hours (probably too much - but it was that or another one hour lay over) before my international flight.