Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Air Travel
Reload this Page >

Need a web site that will help me find which airline flies city to city?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 11th, 2011, 09:02 AM
TC
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am doing a research project and need to be able to "quickly" find out what airlines fly between two given cities. They will most likely be a US city and an International city.

The typical search engines require too much information and are too slow for my purposes. I don't need to know the best price, I don't want to see listings for "mystery airline". It doesn't help if I have to guess which days, which airlines fly to which destinations.

Ideally I want to enter a city pair (departure/arrival) and get a list or a map of which airlines fly either non-stop or the most direct route between them. The purpose of the project is to find the most direct route (shortest fly time) between the two cities. Price is not an issue for this purpose.

Any help out there? Thanks.
Old May 11th, 2011, 09:40 AM

ExpertFlyer (www.expertflyer.com) would be an ideal resource, although it would cost you a (very) small amount of money. Put in any city pair, and you get the flights; you have the option of specifying non-stop flights (which is what it seems you want).

ExpertFlyer is a subscription site. The basic plan is $5/month, and it's month-to-month billing and cancellable at any time.

Don
Old May 11th, 2011, 10:20 AM
TC
Original Poster

Thanks, Don. This just might work. They have a free trial so I can give it a run. Do you use the service? Is it reliable for the upgrade seats portion (I would use this for personal travel)?
Old May 11th, 2011, 10:41 AM

Yes, I'm a subscriber. I have found the upgrade and award seat section to be reliable and up-to-date. However, the upgrade/award section only covers some, but not all, airlines. (The schedule portion of the site covers all airlines, including Southwest.)
Old May 11th, 2011, 11:46 AM
TC
Original Poster

For personal flights I'm a Delta flier. They cover Delta. Appreciate the info. Thanks.
Old May 11th, 2011, 02:51 PM

You could try the airport sites. Sites like expedia and travelocity might work if you choose nonstops.
Old May 11th, 2011, 03:37 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
You can do that on Expedia. It's pretty straightforward.
Old May 12th, 2011, 04:58 AM

kayak.com/buzz works best for this for me
Old May 12th, 2011, 05:21 AM
TC
Original Poster

Thanks, all. Of course, I've tried all the traditional sites. They just won't do the job. While I normally love Kayak, it is the one that returns the "mystery airline" quotes. No help at all. While airport pages often list the airlines with gates, there is no indication as to where those airlines fly. Without doing masses of cross checking -- airport to airline to schedule, those pages are no help. Both of the major booking sites require travel dates, times, etc. They then only return a very limited display of options -- not dealing at all with some airlines.

But again, my thanks for the thought.
Old May 12th, 2011, 06:26 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Your original question is what airlines fly between two cities. If you use Expedia, yes you need to enter fictional dates, and check nonstops, you get exactly that. A list of the major carriers doing the routes. That's always my first step when figuring out a route I haven't flown before... who flies it.
Old May 12th, 2011, 09:33 AM

flightstats.com

enter your departure city and ask for a list of flights departing that city for the day

for example, ATL to Madrid and it'll come up with a list of flights for that city pairing

it does it by times so you may have to do it several times to come up with all the flights between the two cities for 24 hours
Old May 14th, 2011, 08:02 AM
pdx

Skyscanner.net might be useful, too. They show the budget european airlines and have a interactive map that gives direct and connecting routes.
Old May 14th, 2011, 09:44 AM

TC, I doubt that you will be able to get the info you want without choosing dates. Sunday is the busiest travel day of the week. Airlines add routes between US and Europe for the summer travel season.

For Europe, search for a Sunday in June instead of a Monday in January.
Old May 15th, 2011, 12:17 AM

try also www.amadeus.net witht the "direct flights only" option, then do not go to "Best Fares" that you do not need but in the "advanced search" and "show additional options" section where you may also select up to three preferred airlines to filter the research, if you want ! This is my favourite search engine !
Old May 15th, 2011, 07:01 AM

Amadeus.net is excellent. I choose FLIGHTS (in black print at the top), then TIMETABLE from the drop-down menu. Enter 2 cities and any dates--it shows flights for 7 days. You can then fine-tune the options on the left side menu for "airlines", "number of stops", etc.
Old May 15th, 2011, 09:38 AM

perhaps this will help...

http://www.airlineroutemaps.com/index.html
Old May 15th, 2011, 09:52 AM

TC, on reflection you've got a monumental task given the current environment of alliances and code-sharing. For example, If I'm going from Miami to Bordeaux, France, there's no nonstop. There are, however, a zillion ways to get there with one plane change if I take a nonstop from Miami to London (BA/VS), Paris (AF), Madrid (IB), Frankfurt (LU), etc. etc.

I agree with the other posters about the normal booking engines. They typically give a total trip time of each option for the city pair you enter; but you will have entered search parameters.

To complicate further, there may be train stations located in the airports that could provide the quickest connection of all.

Good luck.
Old Apr 8th, 2013, 04:05 PM

I was looking for the same info. and this webpage was very useful.

TC: I'm curious to know if you ended up using any of the sites above mentioned. It seems expertflyer may have all that and more info but as Fabio and especially JaneB mentioned, amadeus.net does the job. I really like their timetables search.

Best