Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Air Travel (https://www.fodors.com/community/air-travel/)
-   -   Monitor Your Upcoming Flights Daily (https://www.fodors.com/community/air-travel/monitor-your-upcoming-flights-daily-1698963/)

whitehall Jul 24th, 2021 01:01 PM

Monitor Your Upcoming Flights Daily

We booked a flight to Italy with Delta for August/September. Since we booked a few months ago, we have experienced at least 8 flight changes. Not surprising given all the travel uncertainty and staff issues. Delta has not notified us of the changes as they obviously would have done in the past. Instead, we noticed these changes by reviewing our upcoming trips on a regular basis. In some cases, we were unable to even see the changes until we accepted them. Odd.

Anyway, some of the changes have included flights that did not allow connections (they even noted that). We were unable to make changes online, which they encourage, perhaps because ours is an "award" flight. Wait times are many hours or even most of the day. Sometimes we are offered the possibility of a Delta call-back; sometimes not. One call-back promised by 11 in the morning was returned at 3 a.m. the following morning.

For us, multiple changes included losing seat assignments and not being seated together. We now review our flight daily. Glad we caught this morning's change because we fortunately were able to select the last two seats they showed available (and they were surprisingly together). We weren't looking forward to another call.

balthy Jul 25th, 2021 08:00 AM

It's very bad that you were not notified of the changes. I guess you have checked it is not due to something silly eg missing/wrong email address in booking or emails that have gone to the spam/junk folder? Having said that, I have experienced flight changes/cancellation with no notification from US carriers before and I know my contact details were in the booking and this was pre COVID.

I've lost count of the changes I have had to my KLM bookings over the past year but every single change had been notified to me by email. BA changed my booking no less than 7 times but we were notified on each occasion at least 3 weeks before. However changes and sched changes can be difficult to figure out on the app but clear when looking at the desktop version of the website.

whitehall Jul 25th, 2021 05:15 PM

Twice Delta has sent emails to us, usually well after the changes were noticed and/or rectified by us. These emails simply advised us to go to their website to see changes that had been made. By the time, we got them, we were unsure which change they were referring to.

We also have noticed a couple times that flights we were booked on were no longer offered, although their site still showed us booked on those flights. Sure enough, a week or two later, we would see that our flight was changed. I think they are just overwhelmed themselves with all the changes, and I suspect humans need to be involved in at least part of the corrective process, and there just aren't enough of them right now. We hope there won't be any last minute surprises, since Covid issues provide enough stress at this point. We can handle it; some less flexible travelers might want to be vigilant.

sassy27 Jul 26th, 2021 06:24 PM

It’s not just Delta or international flights. I am flying next month from NJ to AZ on a ticket from United that I got with a travel credit from a prior flight last year that was canceled due to Covid. I also booked a seat with FF miles both under my account. They have changed my flights 4 times. I have no idea why changed my flight home at 11am was changed to 8 am when I was able to put it back to 11am. They never told me. I only found out when I went into my account for something else and saw there were alerts.

I was able to correct mine with no issue but couldn’t do anything about the ticket I got with my FF miles. I had to call and was on the phone for hrs. When I finally got someone, I was told I would have to once again give up FF miles to correct the flight. No as they changed the flights not me and what they did wouldn’t work. I checked the other night and the flights don’t automatically show up in my account. When I put the reservation number and my last name, it said they had no record of me. I finally got it to show. I have email confirmations but still. They have things so messed up. My information on file is correct as in the past, they have called to speak with me over a schedule change. I don’t get it.