Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Air Travel (https://www.fodors.com/community/air-travel/)
-   -   Missed the flight in time. (https://www.fodors.com/community/air-travel/missed-the-flight-in-time-945444/)

Furanku Aug 3rd, 2012 08:04 PM

Missed the flight in time.

I am currently at the Narita airport, Tokyo while my plane is going to Paris. I got here 50 mins before because I got lost on the train, but apparently I could only do the check in up to 1 hour before.
They tried to change the flight (it was still 50mins left till the plane departed), because my flight was able to be changed. So they offered me another option tonight for 'only' 144€ more since it's only a change. Seeing that that wasn't my final destination, they also checked that there was a flight from Paris to my final destination. There wasn't next day, but there was 2 days after. I was okay with it.
After all the dealing with them, my original flight had already departed 10 mins ago. So they couldn't do the change now, as it's not change since it's after departed. My question is, what options do I have? Surely it should appear in their systems that I was here BEFORE the departure time, so can I actually tell that to the company or it doesn't affect at all? If I cannot make it only change, it's way too much money to pay to go back.

Do you have any suggestions of what should I do? Right now it's night time in my country so no chance for contacting my agent and I don't have a working phone in Japan, though I could use a public one. I'd be really thankfully if you could answer fast.

Arigatou gozaimasu!

Rastaguytoday Aug 3rd, 2012 10:10 PM

This is your first ever post.

The basic "drill" is to provide the name of the airline, and any other pertinent information.

Did the airline acknowledge that it was talking to you before the flight took off, and so on.

Details can get you answers, but we need details.

Rasta

NoFlyZone Aug 4th, 2012 04:41 AM

I believe there are sufficient details. And it's pretty easy. The airline has a 1 hour check-in prior to scheduled international departure. (very common) The OP clearly admits arrival 50 minutes before and was denied boarding.

That's it. The OP screwed up; the airline acted properly. The airline made what appears to be a best, honorable effort to reaccommodate the OP and the OP agreed to the new arrangements.

Options now are either to (1)throw oneself on the mercy of the airlines, (2) look for a hotel for a few nights, (3) cancel the rest of the trip and make separate new arrangements.

suze Aug 4th, 2012 07:15 AM

It sounds like this was booked thru a travel agent at home? I'd start by contacting them as soon as you are able to.

I agree we have plenty of details. Unfortunately bottomline is you basically just missed your flight by being late for checkin.

DonTopaz Aug 4th, 2012 08:39 AM

Seems to me that each of the responders has missed the key point.

As I understand it, the OP had a ticket that allowed for a change of flights, for a fee, <b>if</b> the change is made before the departure time of the originally-ticketed flight. This is not an uncommon condition.

Then the OP checks in too late for his scheduled flight, and the airline gives the option of the changed flight for a fee. We don't know if the airline agent made it clear that the reticketing had to be done before the original flight's departure time -- but that agent certainly should have done so. And that would be the basis of the OP's claim.

If I were the OP, I would try to escalate the issue with the airline. The OP should not complain about not being allowed on the original flight, but the OP should argue that s/he should have been allowed to reticket (for the fee).

mrwunrfl Aug 13th, 2012 06:58 PM

Frank, I would think that your name would be written as Furanuku in romaji.

mrwunrfl Aug 13th, 2012 07:05 PM

Oh, no, you are right, Furanku. I should have looked it up first, gomen nasai.

Jackwil80 Aug 14th, 2012 12:43 AM

Missing a flight is a rather scary thought! i have never missed one and i hope i never do especially when i am travelling alone!

suze Aug 14th, 2012 09:41 AM

Hi Jackwill80, No need to be frightened. Just go to the airport early. Don't cut it so short. I've never come anywhere near missing a flight in many years of travel, but then I aim to be at the airport 3 hours ahead of the flight. I don't mind sitting in the terminal, get a snack, have a drink, read a book.