Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Air Travel (https://www.fodors.com/community/air-travel/)
-   -   Miami International - Only 50 minute layover (https://www.fodors.com/community/air-travel/miami-international-only-50-minute-layover-938792/)

kenav Jun 12th, 2012 04:53 AM

Miami International - Only 50 minute layover

We are going from JFK to Quito, Ecuador, with a change of planes in Miami. Got our air tickets about a month ago. Just got a message from AA that our flight times have changed and now our time between planes is only 50 minutes at Miami International. Should we be prepared not to get our luggage when we land at Quito? is there even enough time to get ourselves to the next plane?

Have never been at Miami Intl., so not sure how big or complicated it is.

twiggers Jun 12th, 2012 05:30 AM

The recommended minimum layover is 45 minutes, but it will be tight if there is even a bit of a delay. You shouldn't need to get your luggage if you are flying on AA the entire way.

Is it the JFK-MIA flight that was changed? If so, you can call AA and request to be moved to an earlier flight. AA has done this to me before at MIA and I've never taken the chance of having less than 90 minutes.

I lived in Miami for 2 years and used MIA quite extensively. I wouldn't chance it on a flight like this.

RoamsAround Jun 12th, 2012 05:46 AM

Assuming you are traveling on the same airline (I gather you are on AA) a 55 minute connecting time at MIA is certainly doable but "tight" _ I'd rather have at least 90 minutes, 2 hours would be better. Your checked baggage will be transported automatically between flight. All you have to do is deplane and walk or take a tram to your connecting gate. American Airlines operates out of two terminals (D & E) which are connected by a walkway that is within the secure area. If your inbound flight is on-time you should have no difficulties and that is the crux of the issue. there's no way any of us can give you any guarantees. If you have a choice, take an earlier flight from JFK to MIA and give yourself more time - why stress yourself for the sake of saving an hour or so of "airport waiting time".

kenav Jun 12th, 2012 08:13 AM

It's the time taking off from Miami that has been changed to be shorter.
Yes, both flights are on AA.

I know we don't have pick up our bags at Miami, but wondering if AA can actually transfer our bags in that time from the NY-Miami flight to the one that takes off in Miami.

kenav Jun 12th, 2012 08:39 AM

WOW - thanks so much twiggers. I had no idea that we could change our reservation with no charge. The no charge is because AA changed the flights, not us.

We now have 2 1/2 hours in Miami before our connecting flight.

Sigh of relief!

twiggers Jun 13th, 2012 05:01 AM

Glad that you were able to successfully change it kenav! My experience has generally been that they'll do the change when it's their fault. Even if they change it by 30 minutes.

2.5 hours is much better! If you have time you can always grab some Cuban food at La Carretta :-)