Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Air Travel (https://www.fodors.com/community/air-travel/)
-   -   Miami Airport - remind me never to connect thru again! (https://www.fodors.com/community/air-travel/miami-airport-remind-me-never-to-connect-thru-again-1665869/)

gail Apr 13th, 2019 09:12 AM

Miami Airport - remind me never to connect thru again!

What is up with MIA? Have been through every 2 years or so and know they were doing major construction. This appears to be finished. This week connected - both on American Airlines - from incoming Turks and Caicos to connection to Boston. I think I walked 2 miles at least. Immigration line very very long (on a Monday afternoon). Got pulled out to some sort of express line because I use a cane. Then walk forever to collect luggage. Then walk forever again to re-check luggage. No one to give directions and few signs. Then needed to go to a different terminal, and 3 different people from AA and airport were arguing over how to get there. Again, no signage. When arrived, discovered at some point we had left secure area so had to go through TSA security again. I have traveled often, domestic and international, and have never experienced such lengthy hikes and lack of info before. Are they done renovations and this is the best its going to be?

suze Apr 15th, 2019 10:35 AM

You often end up outside security after Customs coming back into the country. That part doesn't seem unusual.

Maybe next time arrange for wheel chair assistance from your airline? That would have helped with most of this.

RoamsAround Apr 15th, 2019 02:16 PM

Suze - at first I had the same thought as you Re: TSA but then I re-read OP’s post where she said “we had left secure area so had to go through TSA security again”. The operative word being “again”. I’m guessing that after clearing Immigration, Customs and TSA she and her party somehow left the secure area (due to lack of clear directions) when walking between terminals this having to clear TSA “again”.

suze Apr 15th, 2019 03:15 PM

I'm saying that happened to me at a couple southern California airports returning from Mexico... where there was no choice but to go a certain path after clearing Customs. Unless I missed something really obvious or did something particularly stupid that I still haven't figure out... we had no choice but to clear TSA "again" as in I thought I was still in secured space, but I was not.

chepar Apr 16th, 2019 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by suze (Post 16904637)
You often end up outside security after Customs coming back into the country. That part doesn't seem unusual.

I find it highly annoying when this happens. I try to book my connecting flights home through airports where I know I'm not exiting a secure area after Immigration/Customs/bag drop etc, but sometimes it doesn't work out that way. Especially since flying home internationally my boarding pass won't have the pre-check designation on it and I'll have to stand in the longer regular line.

Living in Hawaii it already takes forever to fly anywhere, so for example if I was flying home from London - on top of the 16 hrs flight time to have to get back in a regular TSA line again to enter the domestic terminal is really awful.

Breaking up the flights and overnighting in the city where I enter the country helps (plus when I check in the next morning I have pre-check designation) but that's not always feasible time wise with work, taking an extra day to fly.

suze Apr 16th, 2019 01:28 PM

Thanks for saying that, I thought i was losing it. I was caught completely off guard the first time (San Diego I think it was). I should have known because I was actually outdoors somehow between the two flights. Then stumbling around with a full water bottle, coat on, shoes on, etc. suddenly in an unexpected TSA line... like I'd never gone thru one before!

gail Apr 17th, 2019 04:17 AM

I have flown a fair amount. My issues were combination of no signage, uninformed airport personnel, no transport options other than w/c like people mover or train for lengthy distances between terminals. This in an airport recently with a huge remodel. I understand sometimes it is necessary to have to go through TSA on connecting flights.

mlgb Apr 20th, 2019 12:28 AM

MIA is one of the bigger PITA airports. Plus, American...double trouble.

As bad as FLL is, I'd rather use that. Even if it means Spirit.