Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Air Travel (https://www.fodors.com/community/air-travel/)
-   -   Luggage Tips (https://www.fodors.com/community/air-travel/luggage-tips-357704/)

FainaAgain May 9th, 2008 02:32 PM

Luggage Tips

Got this in e-mail from my travel insurance company:

Our top 10 tips to help avoid luggage hassles:

Keep up with new airport policies. For example, since January 1, 2008, no loose lithium batteries are allowed in checked luggage.

Tag your bag with bright colors to make it easier to find and to prevent other travelers from mistaking it for their own, and make sure ALL of your pieces of luggage have address tags.

If you’re traveling with gifts, leave them unwrapped until you arrive at your final destination for security purposes.

Keep a copy of your itinerary in each piece of your checked luggage in case it is lost. Airlines will be able to easily identify which pieces are yours and where they should be sent to.

Check your airline's luggage requirements. Some airlines are beginning to charge extra for more than one checked bag.

Check policies for the size and amount of carry-on luggage requirements in other countries before traveling overseas – requirements differ between countries and airports.

Keep medicines (both prescription and OTC) in their original, labeled containers to avoid any hold-ups at security check points.

Avoid wearing heavy jewelry, large belt buckles and clothing with metal buttons, snaps or studs, and do not put metallic items into your carry-on luggage. You'll prevent delays in getting through security at the airport.

Leave copies of your travel itinerary and passport with friends or family at home in case your documents are lost or stolen, or if anyone at home needs to reach you while traveling.

Bring Ziploc bags in a variety of sizes. They’re useful for packing snacks, wet laundry, trash, organizing film, keeping a camera dry, etc.

dfr4848 May 12th, 2008 07:27 AM

Thanks Faina - a reminder on these well-known but often "forgotten" points is always helpful.

Jed May 12th, 2008 09:38 AM

I agree with everything except the medications - which has been discussed ad nauseum here. ((*))

alanRow May 12th, 2008 11:57 AM

<<< make sure ALL of your pieces of luggage have address tags. >>>

Which SHOULDN'T have your address or any other information like phone numbers from which your home address can be found

FainaAgain May 12th, 2008 12:17 PM

Alan, I absolutely agree, the home address should not be on the luggage tag. And the e-mail mentions only the tag, not the address.

For safety reasons, it's better to put your business address on the luggage tag - if the suitcase is lost, it will be delivered to your work.

Going on vacation, I put on the name/address of the first hotel (if staying at several).

esm May 12th, 2008 02:34 PM

I always put destination info on my luggage tags but what is the problem with having a home address on luggage tag on the way back?

I assume you're thinking of someone breaking into an empty house.

FainaAgain May 12th, 2008 02:42 PM

Well... must be another urban legend, never thought of it, thank you, ESM! We are safe till the robbers read-scanning our luggage tags unite into international union... err... gangs :))

esm May 12th, 2008 05:08 PM

Faina, I make a double sided tag showing destination and home address and just switch sides on return.

I've read on other posts that some people don't want home address on tags but apart from someone breaking into their houses I can't think of a reason. Besides, the house won't be empty if other family members are not traveling.

PeaceOut May 12th, 2008 09:22 PM

I think one reason not to put your home address on your luggage tag (or anyplace else) is mostly for women who don't want strangers to know where they live. Just in case.

cary999 May 12th, 2008 10:35 PM

FWIW, our luggage tags have our name and then the name, address, and phone number of our TA.

regards - tom

trigal2 Aug 17th, 2008 09:40 PM

I'm one who doesn't put personal info on my tags. I put that inside the bag somewhere. I love my luggage handle wraps from www.binhog.com. I use those on the outside handles of the bag.

suze Aug 19th, 2008 01:16 PM

luggage tags... I put my hotel address along with my last name going & use my business card with office address on the way home.

suze Aug 19th, 2008 01:17 PM

yes i am single female and the house is empty if i'm not there and i don't necessarily want anyone to see where i live... all correct.

Jaya Aug 19th, 2008 01:35 PM

I use tags that have to be opened up to read and are sturdy enough that they can't be easily pulled off.

FainaAgain Aug 19th, 2008 01:36 PM

I put the first hotel's address/phone going "there" and business adress/home phone coming back.