Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Air Travel
Reload this Page >

Luggage Allowance if flying business and economy back

Old Jun 29th, 2022, 10:11 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Luftansa offers 2 checked bags if you are in Business Class. For economy. you get zero checked bags https://www.lufthansa.com/us/en/baggage-and-other-fees
What happens if you fly both businses and economy?
If I upgrade ONE flight to business, but rest of the 3 flights are economy, will I still be able to bring 2 bags (without being charged?)

Let's say I'm going from NYC - Palermo
Scenario 1
  1. NYC - Rome. (Business)
  2. Rome - Palermo (Economy)
  3. Palermo - Milan (Economy)
  4. Milan to NYC (Economy)
Scenario 2
  1. NYC - Rome. (Economy)
  2. Rome - Palermo (Business)
Scenario 3
  1. NYC - Rome. (Economy)
  2. Rome - Palermo(Economy)
  3. Palermo - Milan (Business)
  4. ​​​​​​​Milan to NYC (Economy)
Old Jun 30th, 2022, 05:37 AM

Can’t answer about what happens if you change class of ticket, business to economy, etc. but there are three levels of economy. Regular economy and premium economy both allow one checked bag, up to around 50 lbs.
The only class that does not is economy light, a class designed for inter European short flights, which allows only about a 20 pound carry on. I doubt that you booked that. Certainly, NY to Rome or Milan to NY would not be economy light.

Would it not be nicer to make your long haul flight from NY the business class flight? Rome to Palermo is only a bit over an hour and less than two hours, Palermo to Milan.
Old Jun 30th, 2022, 07:42 AM
J62

Originally Posted by kittycatangel
Luftansa offers 2 checked bags if you are in Business Class. For economy. you get zero checked bags https://www.lufthansa.com/us/en/baggage-and-other-fees
What happens if you fly both businses and economy?
If I upgrade ONE flight to business, but rest of the 3 flights are economy, will I still be able to bring 2 bags (without being charged?)

Let's say I'm going from NYC - Palermo
Scenario 1
  1. NYC - Rome. (Business)
  2. Rome - Palermo (Economy)
Scenario 2
  1. NYC - Rome. (Economy)
  2. Rome - Palermo (Business)
Scenario 3
  1. NYC - Rome. (Economy)
  2. Rome - Palermo(Economy)
  3. Palermo - Milan (Business)
It's not clear if flights 1 & 2 are connecting flights, or if you are stopping in Rome for a day or more..
I'm also assuming that all your flights are on the same airline alliance and booked all together.

Assuming you are flying to Palermo without leaving Rome airport, then I believe (but not certain) that either Scenario 1 & 2 would give you the biz class baggage allowance from NY to Palermo. Scenario 1 is the most certain. I can't see any way that Scenario 1 or 2 would give you the baggage allowance on the return legs 3 & 4. Ditto for Scenario 3 not applying to legs 1 & 2....

Last edited by J62; Jun 30th, 2022 at 07:44 AM.
Old Jun 30th, 2022, 08:56 AM

I find it hard to believe that Lufthansa would book you a ticket from NYC to PMO with a connection in Rome. They would fly you NYC-Germany-PMO or put you on a SWISS condeshare where your final leg is Zurich to PMO.

Same issue with the PMO-Milan leg on the return.

They would book ROM-PMO but with a connection in Germany or Zurich.

And that link tells me that LH has a 1 bag 32kg allowance for economy.
Old Jun 30th, 2022, 09:20 AM
J62

Originally Posted by mrwunrfl
I find it hard to believe that Lufthansa would book you a ticket from NYC to PMO with a connection in Rome. They would fly you NYC-Germany-PMO or put you on a SWISS condeshare where your final leg is Zurich to PMO.

Looking at the OP again, I take the NYC - ROME - Palermo as strictly hypothetical to lay out the 4 scenarios.

It could just as well be
A-B-C
Old Jun 30th, 2022, 11:41 AM

Yep, J62, it could be that or it could be something else.

Looking at the OP again, I am still confused. In fact, I am not at all clear what the OP means by "flights" or by "upgrade". And, as I mentioned, I think the OP misread the LH bag rules.

Old Jun 30th, 2022, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by mrwunrfl

That 1 bag, 23 kg allowance is exactly what I found, glad you saw that too.

I also wondered about the Rome connection with Lufthansa.
Old Jun 30th, 2022, 08:54 PM

1- 2 bags
2- no bags
3- no bags
Old Jul 2nd, 2022, 08:48 PM
Original Poster

OP here
The tickets are economy (no check-in baggage). Reserving seat cost 30-$55 a seat. Adding 1 check-in cost for $75 a person, I thought I may as well upgrade once I add up all the cost. The question is if I upgrade one leg of a flight, do I still have to buy a check-in luggage for the other 3 flights?
Old Jul 3rd, 2022, 12:22 AM

https://www.lufthansa.com/us/en/baggage-and-other-fees
I still see economy, 1 23 kg bag free. I can’t seem to send the images.
pull up the link and it shows every type fare and bag allowance with images.

Last edited by Sassafrass; Jul 3rd, 2022 at 12:25 AM.
Old Jul 3rd, 2022, 02:06 AM
J62

OP here
The tickets are economy (no check-in baggage). Reserving seat cost 30-$55 a seat. Adding 1 check-in cost for $75 a person, I thought I may as well upgrade once I add up all the cost. The question is if I upgrade one leg of a flight, do I still have to buy a check-in luggage for the other 3 flights?
upgrading on a flight from US to Europe will buy you nothing on the return from Europe to the US. Legs 3 & 4 coming home are separate from 1 & 2, going there.

assuming flights 1 & 2 are on the same airline alliance whereby your bags will be checked all the way to your final destination, then buying an upgrade across the Atlantic will give you the baggage allowance all the way to Sicily
Old Jul 3rd, 2022, 07:25 AM

It really boils down to whether or not your flights are "connecting flights" (i.e. you are just in-transit and have a connecting flight or flights to your final destination - you deplane in an airport and board the next flight without leaving the airport) or if you are making a "stopover" (i.e. you leave the airport and stay in a city for a day or more before proceeding on the rest of your trip).

If on the way to Italy you are "connecting" in Rome to Palermo (your final destination) and you upgrade to Business on the NY/Rome flight you'll get the Business Class luggage allowance and your bags will be checked through to Palermo at no additional fee. Assuming you stay in Palermo for a few days before proceeding on to Milan and eventually back to New York you'll have to pay for any additional luggage over the allowance for the class of ticket you have for those flights (in your case economy with no check-in bags so an additional fee would apply for those flights.

If, on the other hand, you are stopping in Rome for a day or more before proceeding to Palermo and the rest of your itinerary, then you'll be charged a baggage fee on all three subsequent flights.

In short, the Business Class baggage allowance will apply only on that particular flight and any subsequent "connecting" flight or flights. Once you make a "stopover" your Business class baggage allowance ceases.

I hope this is now clear to you.

Last edited by RoamsAround; Jul 3rd, 2022 at 07:28 AM.
Old Jul 3rd, 2022, 10:01 AM

OP here
Ok, I am going to understand that to mean that you know that you have one free checked bag but want to check two bags and the second bag would cost $75.

Do you even know how much the "upgrade" will cost? It will far exceed $75. It will exceed $300 which is the cost you would pay if you had to pay $75 for each of the four "flights".

We don't really understand what your itinerary is. Lay it out for us. You are leaving/returning to NYC and want to fly to what cities to stay for how long in each city.

The answer to your question is that you will have to pay the fee for at least two of the three other flights.

I wish I had the patience to explain why I put "upgrade" and "flights" in quotes above.

I suspect this is a troll.
Old Jul 3rd, 2022, 03:45 PM
mjs

I agree that the OP is confusing. I think only ITA, Delta, American and United fly directly to Rome from the New York area and United flies out of EWR. As Lufthansa is partnered with United one would fly United to Rome via codeshare. Otherwise Lufthansa would fly via either FRA or MUC on a one stop to Rome. If one was flying Star alliance out of New York to Palermo one would fly via MUC or ZUR (Swiss) Upgrading to business would cost a lot more than a few bags. If you did upgrade one would have the same bag limit on all the upgraded flights.
Old Jul 3rd, 2022, 07:02 PM
Original Poster

Sorry for the confusion. When I posted this question, we had not booked the flights yet. We have now confirmed the flights and now going to Sardinia (not Palermo) on Luftansa
  1. USA - Frankfurt
  2. Frankfurt - Sardinia
  3. Sardinia -> Munich
  4. Munich - US
The flight is now booked. When we go to add seats, it asks if we want to upgrade any of the 4 leg on the flight (each a separate cost)
  1. USA - Frankfurt
  2. Frankfurt - Sardinia
  3. Sardinia -> Munich
  4. Munich - USA
This flight only allows ONE carry-on (No checked luggage) If I buy an upgrade on Flight #2 (Frankfurt to Sardinia) to BUsiness class, it allows 2 check in luggage. Since I'm only upgrading 1 leg of the flight, will I have to pay extra bagage for the USA to Frankfurt flight? There is a nearly 5 hour layover in Frankfurt

Option to upgrade any of the 4 legs of the flight
Old Jul 3rd, 2022, 07:39 PM
mjs

This itinerary makes sense. I never book economy light as it doesn’t allow you to choose a seat and you can’t check baggage without a fee and often no miles for those of us who accumulate them and use them to upgrade status and save for “free” flights in future. Looks like you would have to pay for baggage on flights that you have not upgraded. Am not sure why you would want to upgrade your short flights within Europe.
Old Jul 3rd, 2022, 07:44 PM

OK, I see part of the issue. You have booked economy “light” on at least one leg, and you are right that economy light does not include any checked baggage.
Did you book these as separate flights rather than one ticket? I can not see from your post info which legs are economy light.
Hard to believe they would book a TA flight as economy light.
Economy premium allows two checked bags, so you could do that except for one leg, which does not show that as an option. You might just have to pay for checked bags on that leg.
I don’t know. This is far more complicated than anything I have ever experienced. I would not have booked until it was absolutely clear which was best.
The whole trip should be simply one RT, NY to Sardinia and return.
Changing one leg to business is not going to help.

Last edited by Sassafrass; Jul 3rd, 2022 at 07:45 PM. Reason: Add info.
Old Jul 3rd, 2022, 11:24 PM
mjs

For ultimate clarity call Lufthansa
Old Jul 4th, 2022, 02:21 AM
J62

I don't understand the statement "Option to upgrade any of the 4 legs of the flight", but maybe it's just me. In my vernacular a flight is one airplane from airport 1 to airport 2. Same thing as a leg, so from USA to Sardinia you have 2 legs or 2 flights... ditto for the return.

So let's look at this as 2 separate chunks - 1) USA to Sardinia, and 2), the return. What you do on part 1 has no bearing on part 2. You could upgrade both legs on USA to Sardinia, and not the return, and you'd still have to pay for bags on the return.

Upgrading USA to Frankfurt to business class sounds wonderful. Lie flat bed, better meal, lounge access, and checked bags for "free". What is the cost to upgrade that leg? Probably several thousand dollars.

An upgrade from Frankfurt to Sardinia only, none of us know if that'll get you checked bags from USA to FRA. We don't know the cost, and it doesn't really get you anything on the plane. It's the same seat, they just block off the middle seat. You may get a nicer ham & cheese sandwich, but you're going to eat at FRA airport anyway. You may get lounge access in FRA, but they have different tier lounges and the business class (I think it's called Senator) isn't much of anything special.)

Last edited by J62; Jul 4th, 2022 at 02:25 AM.
Old Jul 4th, 2022, 07:55 AM

YThis is JFK-FRA-OLB (10h10m layover but same arrival time in OLB) and OLB-FRA-JFK all four segment op by LH (the OP's return probably has Air Dolmiti for OLB-MUC and then LH)

From New York - New York - JFK International, NY to Olbia - Olbia

Passenger 1

Bag 1 up to 23kg (50lbs), up to 158cm (62in) linear length 75.00 USD Bag 2 up to 23kg (50lbs), up to 158cm (62in) linear length 100.00 USDFor this journey, the baggage rules of Lufthansa apply. Please inform yourself about details prior to travel commencement.
The above mentioned baggage allowances and charges apply for adults and children.

From Olbia - Olbia to New York - New York - JFK International, NY

Passenger 1

Bag policy table for outbound Bag 1 up to 23kg (50lbs), up to 158cm (62in) linear length 75.00 USD Bag 2 up to 23kg (50lbs), up to 158cm (62in) linear length 100.00 USDFor this journey, the baggage rules of Lufthansa apply. Please inform yourself about details prior to travel commencement.
The above mentioned baggage allowances and charges apply for adults and children.

Important notice: Over and above the regulations displayed, which may already include status-customer benefits, other status-dependent benefits may be granted. These will be granted at check-in after validation.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -