Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Air Travel
Reload this Page >

Luggage advice- United carryon, personal limits on regional jets

Apr 13th, 2019, 01:51 PM
Original Poster

Fodorites - need your experiences and advice about carryon only on United flights. Travelling from BHM to PHX (layover in IAH each way) in late May, business economy for 4 night stay. What dimensions of bag size have worked for you to avoid having to gate check your carryon? Planning to take small carryon and personal item to keep under the seat ahead of me, but am concerned about the requiremenrs for the smaller regional jets. I appreciate all suggestions as I don't travel often and have not flown with Unired before. Thank you for your help!
Apr 13th, 2019, 05:01 PM
J62

What specifically is your concern with gate checking a bag?

I fly UA small regional gets a couple times a year, and the only carryon I've been able to keep with me has been a gym bag. Anything with wheels/handle seems to get gate checked. I've never had a problem getting my bag that fits on a A320 or B737 back quickly after landing.
Apr 13th, 2019, 06:29 PM

I travel carry on only and even when my bag would fit in the overhead it sometimes has to be gate checked.

Usually on the small regional jets/propjets you leave the bag before climbing the stairs or at the end of the jetway. Then collect it on the tarmac before entering the terminalJust take a regular cabin bag (up to a 21/22 incher) and a small day pack or personal item. Just don't put anything in the bag that is necessary for the flight, really valuable, or medications.
Apr 14th, 2019, 07:44 AM
Original Poster

Thank you both. I wanted to be better prepared since I haven't flown in a while. This is very helpful!