Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Air Travel (https://www.fodors.com/community/air-travel/)
-   -   Lufthansa or British Airways, Milan to London (https://www.fodors.com/community/air-travel/lufthansa-or-british-airways-milan-to-london-777833/)

SWillams Apr 8th, 2009 09:42 AM

Lufthansa or British Airways, Milan to London

I need a one way flight from Milan to London, I know Easy Jet flys this route but they fly to Gatwick, I'd prefer to fly into Heathrow. I have taken BA many times on short haul and long haul flights, and have had both good and bad experiences with them. I haven't flown LH recently, and when I had been on LH it was for a long haul flight. Could people who have flown LH (and BA) recently please let me what are the significant differences between the two airlines. In terms of price, both are similar.

Thanks in advance.

dfr4848 Apr 8th, 2009 12:05 PM

I don't think there are significant differences between them. But I would think BA would be non-stop and LH require a change in either FRA or MUC, in which case I'd opt for BA.

rkkwan Apr 8th, 2009 12:12 PM

LH now flies MXP-LHR non-stop. They're setting a Lufthansa Italia minihub at MXP.

bmi also flies MXP-LHR, and AZ/AirOne and BA LIN-LHR.

There are quite a few choices for Milan-LHR.

SWillams Apr 8th, 2009 12:21 PM

Thank you dfr4848 and rkkwan.

The flights that I am looking at are from MXP to LHR. I know LIN is much closer to Milan's city centre, but the airfare on a flight from LIN to LHR (on BA) is US$150 when a flight on BA or LH from MXP is about $89. I did check prices on BD too, they were $135 for a flight MXP to LHR. I haven't looked at AZ/Air One's schedules or prices.

I have a question about getting to MXP is it difficult to get to the airport from Central Milan? I will be staying near the Milano Central Station, for one night. (I arrive in Milan by trian form Switzerland). Does the cost of a transfer from Central Milan offset the savings for a flight from MXP instead of LIN?

rkkwan Apr 8th, 2009 12:34 PM

MXP will be cheaper. There's the Malpensa Shuttle airport bus that departs from the side of Milano Centrale. Takes about 55 minutes, every 20 minutes. 7€.

SWillams Apr 8th, 2009 02:43 PM

Thank you, rkkwan. By any chance, do you know the name of the company that runs the shuttle bus?

rkkwan Apr 8th, 2009 03:05 PM

http://www.malpensashuttle.it/e-default.htm

AAFrequentFlyer Apr 8th, 2009 03:09 PM

is this really worth a big discussion?

come on... it's an 1.5 flight.

Both airlines have their occasional glitches, and both airlines can be fantastic, but again, it's 1.5 hour flight.....

SWillams Apr 8th, 2009 03:44 PM

Thanks, rkkwan.

AAFrequentFlyer, you make a very good point, yes this a short flight. The only reason why I asked is because I do like to fly different airlines when I am able to, and I've never flown on a short haul flight with LH. I know things in Europe have changed significantly with the introduction of low cost carriers. (I know that niether BA or LH are considered to be low cost carriers, but my recent experiences with BA really make me question that). Had I got feedback with LH horror stories, I'd take my chances with BA again. I have a chance to fly LH again, and I think I'll do that since I've flown BA often. I certainly hope LH doesn't change my flight schedule, I've had alot of that of late. If this was a long haul flight or a pricey business class/first class ticket a big discussion would be appropriate. In this case all that I was asking was for recent short haul LH experiences, that's all.

travelgourmet Apr 8th, 2009 11:29 PM

BA short-haul service is about as good as it gets in Europe, which is obviously not saying much.

I would choose BA because I prefer T5 to T2.

freeman0819 Apr 9th, 2009 01:13 AM

The malpensa shuttle from Milan central station is pretty easy, as it departs from Central station and drops off at Malpensa shuttle. The transfer takes about 45 minuts (estimate more time depending on day of the week and time of day, i.e. rush hour!) I used them in November; the pickup point was outside of Central station (if you are looking at the station, then it would be around to the right towards the back).

freeman0819 Apr 9th, 2009 01:31 AM

sorry, meant "drops off at Milan AIRPORT!" (coffee has not kicked in yet...)