Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Air Travel (https://www.fodors.com/community/air-travel/)
-   -   Lufthansa Lounges (https://www.fodors.com/community/air-travel/lufthansa-lounges-816954/)

Ivy Dec 7th, 2009 03:35 PM

Lufthansa Lounges

I have a 3 hour lay over in frankfurt and wondering - will I be able to access the new "arrivals" lounge they have? or will I be stuck with the less-nice regular biz class lounge, which I have heard is not nice. I will be 'in transit' as I will be connecting to a flight to Cairo, but I want to use that arrivals lounge with it's buffet breakfast. Does anyone know? Thanks!!

travelgourmet Dec 8th, 2009 06:58 AM

If you are in-transit, you will only be able to access the regular lounges, unless you decide to exit the secure side of the airport and re-clear security. I wouldn't bother with only a 3 hour layover.

Note, also, that the access restrictions for the arrivals lounge are a bit more stringent than the regular lounges. If you are flying in business class or are a Senator, you can get in, but you cannot get in with a non-Lufthansa *Gold card.

DonTopaz Dec 8th, 2009 10:22 AM

Assuming that you're flying in business class and not 1st, then I'd absolutely suggest using the arrivals lounge. Clearing security is not painful in FRA, esp because you can use the priority line with a bus cl boarding pass.

rkkwan Dec 8th, 2009 10:30 AM

I assume the OP is flying from N. America to Cairo. To use the arrival lounge should mean going through Germany immigration twice. Not just security.

Ivy Dec 8th, 2009 05:28 PM

this is really helpful - so it's as I feared, I will be stuck with the regular lounges. Any advice on WHICH lounge to choose? I have heard some bad things about Lufthansa lounges in Frankfurt.

Cowboy1968 Dec 9th, 2009 01:58 PM

As TG said, 3 hours is not that much time to kill or make a big fuss.
I wonder if you will have that much of an appetite left for the breakfast buffet in the Welcome lounge after the breakfast you get before landing. But I think it may make the immigration officer smile (if they are able to) if he should ask you for the reason for your stay in Germany/the Schengen zone: I just got here for the breakfast buffet :-)

I'd stick airside and use a lounge near where you flight to Cairo will depart, which should probably be in Terminal 1B. Don't expect anything fancy. FRA isn't a fancy airport, neither are the regular lounges.

Echnaton Dec 14th, 2009 11:38 AM

Well, posters like Frankfurt-bashing here in this forum. I admit, I do not like Frankfurt Airport very much, but its bad reputation on fodors.com comes mainly from the fact that Americans arrive red-eyed in Franfurt which biases their perception. E.g. I regularly read here "I walked for miles" - fact is that the longest distance in the aiport from the tip of concourse A to the central hall is just 600 yards, not miles.

>>>I have heard some bad things about Lufthansa lounges in Frankfurt<<<

Lufthansa lounges are pretty much the same in all German airports. And Lufthansa Business lounges are way better than UA Business lounges.

Expect leather chairs, cubicles with desks for your computer and dining tables.

The Lufthansa Business lounge in Frankfurt has a shower - which is very nice after a transatlantic flight. Bring fresh underwear in your carryon, everything else in in the shower.

The Business lounge has a full bar, on a self-serve base and all complimentary. The food, however, is limited. In the morning, you will find fresh bread, butter, curd, fruit, cereals and muffins. At noon, a soup will arrive.

So, you know what to expect. Certainly not "bad things".

It won't be any problem to pass German "immigration" several times. Firstly, there is nothing like "immigration" in German airports. It is just a passport check and it takes no more than 20 seconds. And there are fast lanes for Business Class passengers.