Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Air Travel (https://www.fodors.com/community/air-travel/)
-   -   Lufthansa connection in Munich? (https://www.fodors.com/community/air-travel/lufthansa-connection-in-munich-673728/)

LCWombat Jan 25th, 2007 12:56 PM

Lufthansa connection in Munich?

This is my first time flying Lufthansa and I have a couple questions:
1. Do they allow smoking on the flights? (Asthma is an issue)
2. Is a 35 min connection in the same terminal in Munich realistic? I'm worried that we might miss the connection.
3. How comfortable are the economy seats?

alanRow Jan 25th, 2007 03:00 PM

1) of course not
2) I know the airport is pretty small but 35 minutes does seem to be pushing it - I'm assuming that you are booked "A" to "B" via Munich rather than "A" to Munich and Munich to "B".
3) How long are you flying for - economy seats are of a muchness the world over these days.

J62 Jan 25th, 2007 05:23 PM

Last time in Munich (1 week ago) my 55 min layover turned into -15min when the flight from JFK was delayed. Thankfully LH agent greeted me a the arrival gate and secreted me through some back alleys.

Many departing flights are parked on the tarmac, so at the departure gate you actually board a bus to take you there.

Since the departing flight was delayed, actual layover was 40min. I made the flight but luggage did not.

35min is, IMO, not enough time. You will need to go through passport control, pass through security, and possibly walk a long distance.

Can't tell you about coach seats, but new bus class seats sure are nice.

dfr4848 Jan 26th, 2007 05:36 AM

There is no smoking allowed on any airline flying to or from US.

IF your plane is on time and IF you are actually in the same terminal, it's possible. LH is very efficient and MUN is easy airport to nagivate (much better than FRA imo). I've done it in less time, but LH had agent meet in-bound flight and take us to departing gate (we were late and in economy so no special treatment due to class of service). Bags made it fine. But I wouldn't count on that every time. I think you're cutting it close.

Economy seats are economy seats - nothing special about LH. Did think their service was very good.

LCWombat Jan 30th, 2007 10:42 AM

Tks all. We have a choice btwn a 35 min connection in Munich or a 2 hr connection in Frankfurt. Guess we'll go with the later.

We're flying from Wash DC to Munich, connecting to Barcelona. Both flights in Munich are in the same Terminal, but could be at opposite ends, I don't know. I asked about the seats 'cause Spainair was cramped and uncomfortable, as was the Olympia. I also ask about smoking 'cause Olympia let attendants smoke in the non-smoking galley (or so they said), but it was years ago.

travlingirl42 Sep 17th, 2008 02:42 PM

What about a 1 hour connection in Munich? People do seem to think it is an easy-connection airport (relatively speaking...). It would be my 67-year-old mother by herself (she's fairly travel savvy though). Thanks!

yestravel Sep 17th, 2008 05:36 PM

We made our transfer in Munich in well under an hour. It is an easy airport to navigate. We went from a UA flight to a Luthansa flight.

Paulchili Sep 17th, 2008 09:53 PM

If both you and your luggage make it (if it is checked) - count your lucky stars; but don't hold your breath.
I would take the longer connection in Frankfurt (it's just me, I've missed too many close ones....)

Cowboy1968 Sep 18th, 2008 12:57 AM

1 hr connecting time is standard procedure in MUC. I would only be concerned if final destination was so exotic that there was only that one flight per day or if it was the last flight of the day.
Where will your mother have to go from Munich?

travlingirl42 Sep 22nd, 2008 06:00 AM

Thanks, Cowboy et al...

She'll be going to Denver, but as long as she makes it back to the states she should be OK. :)