Long Island, NY area to Vancouver, Canada

Jun 28th, 2018, 12:31 PM
Original Poster

Long Island, NY area to Vancouver, Canada

My sister and I are visiting my son in Vancouver, Canada. We will be leaving from Long Isand, NY this August. Any ideas on how to save money on airfare from NYC area to Vancouver? I was wondering if flying to Seattle then driving to Vancouver might be a good option.
Thanks.
Jun 28th, 2018, 04:18 PM

Depends on the amount you will save, but yes, we did that a few years ago and felt the price saving was worth the approx. 3 hour drive.
Jun 28th, 2018, 06:24 PM

Well, it depends.

You have to first get quotes for ticket prices between your NYC area airport of choice and Vancouver as well as between NYC area airport and Seattle. Then you need to price out the cost of a rental car between Seattle and Vancouver. Using this numbers you can easily determine if there is a cost savings and if that savings is worth the 3 hours drive time each way. The value of YOUR TIME is something only you can determine.
Jun 28th, 2018, 06:43 PM

You can take a train north to Vancouver too.
Jun 29th, 2018, 06:33 AM

To me, this would be a no-brainer. During August round trips from JFK to Vancouver on Cathay Pacific are cheaper than any airline's round trips to Seattle, so not only would you save the considerable cost and hassle of getting a car and/or taking the train up to Vancouver, you'd get to ride on Cathay's terrific wide-body 777s with some of the best in-flight service there is; it's one of the world's great airlines, even in economy. Of course if you spring for premium economy or business class, it's lights out.

Jun 29th, 2018, 12:33 PM

What a bargain find that Cathay Pacific flight is.Only possible drawback is that both flights are red-eyes but I'd keep my eyes wide open for that kind of deal.
Jun 29th, 2018, 12:42 PM

The price I listed yesterday in the other forum was for a late evening flight going out and a red eye return. Amazing price.

Search this Thread