London to Casablanca — TAP or AF?

Sep 6th, 2018, 05:21 AM
Original Poster

London to Casablanca — TAP or AF?

A thread I posted on the UK forum evolved to the question below so I thought I would post it here to get a different set of eyes. Apologies if this is considered cross-posting.

i need to fly from London to CMN, and be in central Casablanca by 6:00pm on Weds 9/26 for the start of a tour (which departs Casablanca the next morning). I intend to fly on 9/25 or even 9/24 if advisable.

Looking for the airlines with the most generous hand baggage rules because I do not want to check my main, 10kg bag I have two viable options, priced within just $60 apart (AF is higher)

1. TAP: LCY/LIS 10:10/ 12:45
LIS/ CMN. 14:15/15:55

note that TAP has only one flight a day from LIS to CMN, so if there is a problem with that flight ( missed connection, cancelled flight, ??) I have a wait of 24 hours — or more if I cannot get on the following day’s flight.

2. AF: LHR/CDG. 09:00/ 11:20
CDG/CMN. 12:45/14:50.

AF has four flights per day CDG/CMN, so within 24 hours that potentially gives me four chances to get to CMN on time.

I have no experience with LCY, LIS or CDG. I have never flown TAP and flew AF long ago as a child, so I have no past experience to draw on regarding airports or how helpful the airlines might be if there is a problem.

i *think* my options —-for maximizing the odds of not missing my tour start, bag in hand —are TAP on either 9/24 (or perhaps 9/25) cooling my heels in Casablanca for an extra day taken from my London time if I fly 9/24, or AF on 9/25. But which?

i am in analysis paralysis. . Advice, please!
Sep 6th, 2018, 09:39 PM
J62

Royal Air Maroc has twice daily nonstop flights to CMN., one each from LHR & LGW. Is that not an option?
Seems like a non-stop has lower risk than a connecting flight.
Sep 7th, 2018, 12:39 AM

Why don't you want to check in your luggage? Is it cost or fear of it getting delayed? As stated above, there are direct flights to Casablanca would should be your first choice. RAM allow 10kg of hand luggage. Anything that connects thru CDG I would recommend avoiding since it is a pretty awful airport.
Sep 7th, 2018, 01:54 AM
Original Poster

RAM doesn’t fit my needs due to scheduling and hand baggage rules.

i have booked Air France. thanks.
Sep 7th, 2018, 02:33 AM

Good luck with connecting in CDG. I hope you don't have to find out how helpful AF will be if there is a problem.

Hand baggage rules are the same with RAM and AF, both allow 10kgs and both have dimensions totalling 115cm all round and both allow a laptop bag or accessory bag in addition.

On the 24/9 & 25/9 there are two direct flights that arrive in the evening, plenty of time before your tour on the 26/9, 3hr20min direct flight vs connection trip duration 5h 50mins