Little mention of some airlines; lots on others

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1st, 2005, 11:02 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's something I noticed- there is a lot of talk about AA, NWA, United, Delta and a few other airlines, but little talk about others that are considered, at least to m y knowledge, "major" airlines, such as Continental. Is this b/c it's not as major as I consider, because of routing limitations so not a lot of people use it, or b/c they are good and no one wants to complain about them?
Old Aug 2nd, 2005, 01:57 AM

The 6 major or legacy airlines are, AA,UA,CO,NW,US and DL. The name "major" stuck with these because they were the big boys when the likes of AW or SW were the little kids on a block. These days that's not necessarly true, but names tend to stick.

Anyway, I really don't know why you think there is hardly any talk about CO? I've read many good/bad reviews, questions about CO. Maybe not as much as the ones you mentioned but there are few good reasons. AA and UA and DL are REALLY big ones with much better routing coverage so people tend to fly them more, whether they want to or not. UA and US are in bankrupcy and DL may join them soon, so naturally the casual flyer worries more and needs some help/answers. NW is possibly going on strike, so again people are worried. CO just seems to plug away, but they, like the other 5 do do have better/worse or just mostly average days and it's reflected here in many posts when that happens.
Old Aug 2nd, 2005, 04:56 AM

CO gets mentioned a lot here. Well, at least <b>I</b> mention it a lot, since that's the primary airline my family and I fly.

If you have any question about CO, just fire away...
Old Aug 2nd, 2005, 05:16 AM

Funny to see this post as I was just visiting with my TA over the weekend and he was telling me of the good old days of Robert Six and the days of the &quot;Proud Bird with the Golden Tail&quot;...something like that....In todays Dallas Morning News,they quote a report from the Washington Post in which the &quot;experts&quot; are predicting that Delta and Northwest will file bankruptcy mid-September a month before a new restrictive bankruptcy law takes effect.
Old Aug 3rd, 2005, 09:15 PM
Original Poster

AAFrequentFlyer- I guess it makes sense that since those other airlines are having difficulties, they would be discussed more often.

I personally haven't noticed a lot of talk about CO (as compared to the other companies), but I suppose that could also be because I just started paying attention to the airlines board.

Rkkwan- I do have one question. I am flying on a 75...7, I think, overseas. I am wondering about the in flight entertainment. I read the stuff about it and saw there are different channels you can choose from, so does that mean there are individual screens? Also, do you have to pay to watch their movies? The website, to me, is unclear. (Of course, I am a big airhead, so I might've read it and forgotten it.)
Old Aug 3rd, 2005, 09:40 PM
Original Poster

Thought of another question-

I'm flying OMA-EWR and then EWR-BFS. I don't remember exactly when I land in EWR, but I know the flight leaves OMA 11:25am, and the flight for BFS leave EWR at 7pm-ish.

I highly DOUBT the this will happen, but: if something were to happen to my first flight that super delayed me, and I missed my flight from EWR to BFS, would CO automatically put me on the next flight out? And, since the next flight out isn't until the following day, would they compensate me for having to find a hotel room, etc? Just wondering, worst case scenario sort of stuff.

Thanks.
Old Aug 4th, 2005, 02:31 AM

I asked similar question - 11 responses. My post is currently about 20 posts down from yours.
Old Aug 4th, 2005, 05:13 AM

ColeraineCutie -

In coach, CO's 757-200 has communal video screens that drop from the ceiling every few rows. They give you free headphones (plastic, clip on your ear type) on the EWR-Europe flights, but audio quality is very poor, and audio selection extremely poor.

For the east-bound, you should be sleeping, and for the west-bound, find your own entertainment. That would be my recommendations. EWR-BFS is a relatively short trip. I use my own iPOD.

If you worry about your connection, you should learn about your alternatives. If you've always wanted to see NYC, then take the next day's flight. But if you want to get to Belfast soon, you can still do it:

EWR-DUB leaves 8:15pm.
One of EWR-Gatwicks leaves 8:30, and they also have a 10:00pm departure on Fridays and Saturdays.
Birmimgham leaves 9:50pm.
Shannon leaves 8:30pm.
One of the Paris flight leave 10:00pm.
Either Edinburgh or Glasgow 10:10pm.

None of those will be easy connection, but at least possible to get to Belfast the on the same day as your original itinerary. But if you can't make your 7:55pm, I doubt you can have everything arranged or rebooked by 8:15-8:30. Shoot for those late flights to London, Birmingham or Paris. Not sure about connection from Edinburgh/Glasgow to Belfast, but that may be possible.
Old Aug 4th, 2005, 07:20 AM

Whether they will pay for a hotel and food when you miss the last flight depends on why you miss it. If the cause is weather, or something else outside of the control of the airline, they will generally not give you anything, except possibly a coupon that will give you a special deal at some hotel. If the cause is something withing the control of the airline, such as mechanical or crewing problems, they do put you up if they can't get you on a later flight that night.

I think that is the official policy of virtually all carriers. However, there have been plenty of times that an airline has given something they technically didn't have to, in the name of good will, so you should ask in, of course, a nice way.
Old Aug 4th, 2005, 08:20 AM

I agree with you about PR in your last paragraph,

but, many and it looks like you as well, have a mistaken understanding about what an airline can, cannot control. Mechanicals is something they cannot.

Here are couple of links that will explain it.

<b>http://www.dominalaw.com/CM/Literatu...erature394.asp

http://www.mytravelrights.com/rights.cfm?si=2&amp;ai=10</b>