LHR layover - urgent help

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31st, 2006, 04:54 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One hour 10 minute layover or 5 hour 15 minute layover in LHR. Coming from Denver, heading to Amsterdam. What do you think?
Old Jan 31st, 2006, 05:56 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
Airline in, airline out? One ticket or two?

Top of the head, 70 min. is too close. Delays in landing at LHR are commonplace.
Old Jan 31st, 2006, 06:58 AM

i second that. 5 hours goes 10 times as fast as you think it does between landing, (if your on time) getting to and from the right terminal, getting luggage together, checking in, security, etc...however, if you are on two seperate tickets, (denver-london, london-amsterdam) than it's imperative you take the 5 hour connection because the airline (even if it is the same) is not responsible for reprotecting you on another flight should you miss the connection. (it's all on the back of the ticket, fine print) good luck.
Old Jan 31st, 2006, 07:13 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the quick replies. It is all on BA, but after looking at their website and the terminal map, I cannot even believe they would book you on this. The departure terminal and arrival terminal say 60 minute minimum between the two. You have to go thru security again too. Guess that answers the question. I held the long layover, but then got to wondering...
Old Jan 31st, 2006, 08:21 AM

Given it's all on BA then I'm going to change my tune. Both DEN and AMS use Terminal 4 at LHR, so the connection is quite easy. Plus if it's all on BA on one ticket and you miss your AMS flight you'll be protected on the next available. So if you want to get to AMS ASAP I think you could keep the short connection and survive.

But either way... T4 has plenty of mercantile distractions to keep you occupied for the interim. If by any chance you have frequent flyer status with BA or AA, or if you're riding in business class, then the BA Terraces lounges at T4 are quite comfortable (and if in business you can use their wonderful Molton Brown spa services.)
Old Jan 31st, 2006, 08:58 AM

I've travelled transatlantically with BA about 30 times in the past few years. I agree with Gardyloo ... except, your luggage might not arrive when you do in Amsterdam.

BA will get you to Amsterdam, probably on the next flight, if you miss your connection, so it's up to you to evaluate the risks and hassle factors:

- Flights from North America often make the trip a little faster than expected, ... but
- You sometimes hover over London for 15 minutes to an hour waiting for an opportunity to land (no gate, no ramp, congested airspace)
- Sometimes you can zip through security (you still have to do it, even though you're staying in T4 for the transfer) in 5 minutes. Sometimes it takes an hour. If you're about to miss a flight, ask politely to use the business class security line-up.
- If it looks like you're going to miss the flight, you might have to line up with a crowd in the flight connections area to get rebooked on another flight. (Not so painful if you're flying business class.)
- Even if you smoothly get booked onto the next flight and someone purports to re-direct your luggage onto the new flight, there's a fair chance that it won't make it on the same flight as you. (This happened to us recently on our way home to Paris. The luggage didn't show up for 48 hours.)
- You might not get the seats you wanted on the new flight. It's only an hour - not a big deal - but if you have significant seating issues (e.g. if you're claustrophic like me and can't stand the window seat), this could be an issue.

Weigh the risks and hassles. The biggest one is the risk of not having your luggage arrive when you do. If you're travelling only with carry-on, I'd say go for the short connection. Otherwise, enjoy a few hours of shopping at Heathrow.
Old Jan 31st, 2006, 10:06 AM

I made it from Terminal 4 to Terminal 3 in 45 minutes and that included the bus ride and security, but I would NOT recommend it. Usually, BA has people near the security line and if you are on a close flight, they will help you get through the lines quicker.

Old Feb 12th, 2006, 06:45 PM

I booked a flight to Paris with Virgin. It flys to Heathrow and then fly on to Paris with BA. Although I booked this altogether, is it considered 2 separate flights. What should I expect when I deboard at LHR?
Will I go through customs, then security. I only have 1.5 hours till my next flight leaves. Will I have enough time to make it?
Old Feb 19th, 2006, 08:16 AM

I just found out that I have to go from Terminal 4 to terminal 2 in 1.5 hours with 2 sleepy kids.
Old Feb 19th, 2006, 10:16 AM

namaka,
Virgin Atlantic flights arrive in T3 and I believe BA flights to Paris depart from T4, so your transfer should be T3 to T4, not T4 to T2. I haven't done the transfer to T4 before but hopefully someone else who has will chime in. My guess is that it's a pretty tight connection and if your inbound VS flight is delayed, you may miss your connection. Check what additional flights to Paris there are that day. Good luck!
Old Feb 19th, 2006, 12:08 PM
P_M

I see that landings are often delayed at LHR--does the same apply to take-offs? My flight leaves LHR at 7:55am. If all goes on schedule, I should have no trouble making my connecting flight at ORD. But if it's delayed, quite obviously that could cause problems. I'm hoping that such early morning flights usually leave on time. Any input?
Old Feb 19th, 2006, 12:25 PM

<b>P_M</b>,

I think you worry too much!

AA has 2 more non-stop flights to AUS if you do miss your afternoon flight. It also has hourly flights to DFW where you can connect to <i>almost</i> hourly flights to AUS.

AA will accomodate you if for any reason your return across the pond will make you miss the originally scheduled connection to AUS.

Have a great trip!
Old Feb 19th, 2006, 12:36 PM

BTW, all US based airlines have to provide on-time statistics of any flight. AA.com did it on-line until few months ago. Now you have to call and request the info.

There are some websites that will give you the same info for a period of 1 month or so, but I never bother. I've learned that flying still involves some risks and adventures and no amount of preparation, especially things that are not under your control, will help you in any way, when the day turns to a total mess!

My best advice to everybody, including the occasional flyer, is to arm yourself with valid information. What other flights are available, what are my rights and then deal with the CSRs in a polite manner. It's amazing what can be accomplished that way. Knowing on time statistics will not do much for you, but knowing that there are 2-3-4 more flights going to the same destination or knowing your fare rules will be much more helpful.

Hope this helps!
Old Feb 19th, 2006, 12:39 PM
P_M

AAFF, you are right, I do worry too much, but thankfully I have the help of knowledgeable people on this board to bring me back to reality. OK, here's my new plan: If I miss my connection to AUS and get stuck for a few extra hours at ORD, that'll give me more time for that good Chicago pie, as you mentioned in the other thread. Maybe I'll take a few slices to go and bring them home to DH. Thanks.

Old Feb 19th, 2006, 12:47 PM

What? I don't get one???

Have a great trip!
Old Feb 19th, 2006, 05:52 PM

P_M: Since AA99 (the 7:55am LHR) departure is only seasonal I think, you won't find much information about its ontime performance.
Old Feb 22nd, 2006, 06:28 AM

AAFF
Having read the previous posts on arrival/departure times @ LHR, I reviewed my upcoming trip and have a question or two.
I am booked on AA #66 ORD&gt;LHR arrival 07:50 AM. Departure LHR&gt;ZRH on BA @ 09:20 AM
With the recent remodels @ LHR would I have enough time to make the transfer?
On return NCE&gt;LHR on BA arrive 03:00PM and LHR&gt;ORD on AA departing @ 04:50PM.
I would like to get some duty-free shopping in @ LHR...
If not...why would AA book it so close??
(rhetorical question)
Thx.
Old Feb 22nd, 2006, 09:25 AM

<i>I am booked on AA #66 ORD&gt;LHR arrival 07:50 AM. Departure LHR&gt;ZRH on BA @ 09:20 AM</i>

I'm not AAFF but I'll give it a go.

It's doable but it will be tight. The ZRH flight departs from Terminal 4, your ORD flight arrives in outer Terminal 3. You will need to go through the flight connections centre and ride the bus to T4. A security check will also be required. I wouldn't plan on much time for duty free shopping, especially if your incoming flight is delayed at all, as many are.

There's a ZRH flight (BA) that leaves at 11:55 AM. You might think about seeing if you can switch to that one, just so you don't get swept up in the usual early morning frenzy at LHR.

Coming back you ought to have enough time to do some credit card damage in the duty free shops.
Old Feb 22nd, 2006, 11:02 AM

Gardyloo covered it nicely....
Old Feb 22nd, 2006, 05:43 PM

called VAA and BA today to clairfy some things like whether or not my baggage will get checked all the way through to Paris. Was told that because VAA and BA are not code share partners, I must picked them up and recheck them with BA. I also asked both airlines who would be responsible for me should I miss my connection? Both pointed to the other; called VAA back a 2nd time and was told that they will be if the flight gets delayed. They also said that my connecting flight on BAA was booked too tight. So why is that my fault? They gave me the flight without so much as telling me that I would have to collect my bags, go through security and change terminals in 1 hour 35min. I am really bothered. Can you tell?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -